123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ubuntu on iBook G4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshaddix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: ubuntu on iBook G4 Reply with quote

Has anyone done this? I was debating installing the new Ubuntu 9.04 on my old iBook for kicks.

Any bugs I should know about?
120GB iPod
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest I've come was installing 8.04 on my PowerBook G4. If I remember correctly, you either have to use the Alternate Install Disk or you have to type in a video command before the installer goes into GUI mode. Ubuntu has a pretty good Apple forum, and I'm sure I've seen instructions for G4 installations there.

Having said this, you might want to consider two Linux alternatives: Debian Lenny and openSUSE 11. I have both installed on my PowerBook and they work very well. Both allow you to run Mac-on-Linux software, meaning that you can run MacOS 9 or X on your Linux host at very fast speeds. While I like Ubuntu a lot on Intel architecture, I have found Lenny and openSUSE to be superior on PPC architecture, and both are officially supported on PPC (unlike Ubuntu, which is only community-supported). If you like Ubuntu you'll like Debian because they're very similar. (Should be since Ubuntu is based on Debian.) Debian has the reputation of being more difficult for beginners, but I haven't found that to be true. And you can easily get the non-free bits you'll likely need for playing music and video; almost as easy as on Ubuntu. (The exception is flash, which you can't get on any Linux installation for PPC.) Debian actually has a PPC-specific forum, and it gets a fair bit of traffic.
mshaddix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I've never used Debian but I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a difference. I'm in the process of updating my old PC and was wondering what it'd run like on PPC architecture. I think I'll try the 8.04 since its LTS. I have a few cds laying around.
120GB iPod
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One advantage to the newer versions is that peripheral support improves. I don't think it should be an issue, though, because AirPort has been supported in Ubuntu since 7.10 (at least on my PowerBook with AirPort extreme). With Debian, however, I never could get the wireless working on the version before Lenny (Etch), so I went to Lenny while it was still "testing". Fortunately it worked very well. With either Ubuntu 8.04 or Lenny you will need to download a file something like "b43-fwcutter" to extract the firmware for AirPort wireless. So if you need wireless, do your installation connected to ethernet.

By the way, I suspect that you would get wireless out of the box with Ubuntu 9.04 and perhaps 8.10 because of the newer kernels.
mshaddix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm downloading the ppc iso now! hope it works *fingers crossed*
120GB iPod
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you choose?
mshaddix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the PPC version of ubuntu.. with no success. The screen would go black and then stop.. I tried the video command before and still a no go. I'll try again this afternoon.
120GB iPod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: