123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Mac G5 and iMac G5 fan noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Power Mac G5 and iMac G5 fan noise Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could comment on how loud the Power Mac G5 and iMac G5 fans are? I've never had the chance to see or listen to them in person. I know how quiet the Mac mini is because my friend has one. How do they compare? No Apple Stores close. Sad
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't hear my dual 2GHz PowerMac over the noise of 2 PCs a few feet away. Normally it seems to be completely quiet, but if both CPUs start cooking really hard I have heard it a few times by leaning over right in front of it.

I have an Athlon 64 PC in a case that was specially designed for low noise, and the PowerMac is much more quiet.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Ranter. Does anyone here own an iMac G5? I am trying to weigh all my options before the new Mac minis come out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fans in both the PowerMac and iMac are louder than the Mac mini's fan. But, both are very reasonable.

The pitch on the iMac is higher than the PowerMac and the Mac mini. I really don't care for the pitch.

One thing to consider is the iMac's fan is very close to your head, so it will be more noticable. One other downside to the iMac's fan, is its proximity to the built in microphone. From what I have read it makes the built in mic virtually useless.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bandit. I'm basically coming away with the iMac being the loudest of the three from what I've been reading. I wasn't crazy about the iMac anyways even though it probably has the best features for the money. I really don't need or like the all-in-one design. I have a nice 20" Dell LCD that I plan on using. So that brings it down to the Mac mini or Power Mac. I am leaning towards the $699 mini. This will be my first Mac so I am trying to weigh all the options.
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
... I am leaning towards the $699 mini. This will be my first Mac so I am trying to weigh all the options.

I have a Mac Mini too, and it's great. If your Dell LCD has a DVI input, I'd say go for the Mac Mini. If your LCD has only D-sub connector VGA inputs you might want to see if you can find a current Mac Mini user with the same LCD who is using it with ni problems via VGA.

The VGA drivers on the Mac Mini are perhaps a bit marginal.

I'm using my Mac Mini wth a Dell 17" LCD that does have DVI and it is fantastic.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20" Dell has both DVI and VGA inputs. I plan on using the DVI connection with the Mac mini and the VGA one with my Dell. I have two wireless keyboards and mouse sets all ready to go. I am just waiting for Apple to officially announce the Mac mini update. The Power Mac G5 is really nice, but it's just a little too expensive. I think the Mac mini should be enough to get my feet wet with OS X.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend the iMac...but not if you've already got a nice display that you like. Smile We absolutely love our 17" iMac. The display is BEAUTIFUL!

I just recently ordered a 12" iBook and am waiting for delivery. I expect to be posting a review (in the appropriate forum) in a couple of weeks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
The Power Mac G5 is really nice, but it's just a little too expensive. I think the Mac mini should be enough to get my feet wet with OS X.

Getting your feet wet can be expensive around here. Shocked There's quite a few people here impressed 'nuf with OS X that a few months after their mini purchase, they couldn't stop themselves from snagging an [i,Power]Book or PowerMac. Very Happy
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
Weee wrote:
The Power Mac G5 is really nice, but it's just a little too expensive. I think the Mac mini should be enough to get my feet wet with OS X.

Getting your feet wet can be expensive around here. Shocked There's quite a few people here impressed 'nuf with OS X that a few months after their mini purchase, they couldn't stop themselves from snagging an [i,Power]Book or PowerMac. Very Happy

That's what credit cards were made for!

I guess it's a good sign that people are having such a pleasant experience with their Mac mini and OS X. But I would need to take on a second job to be able to afford a PowerBook or PowerMac right after buying a Mac mini. Laughing
dynamic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly the kind of thread i was looking for. Do any of you powermac g5 owners know how (roughly) electricity it consumes?
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamic wrote:
exactly the kind of thread i was looking for. Do any of you powermac g5 owners know how (roughly) electricity it consumes?

I believe my dual 2GHz G5 Power Mac has a 600 watt power supply. That's the max rating, not average.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Sierra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had the chance to HEAR one of the new iMacs with Front Row in person. How would the fan noise compare with the Mac mini or older iMacs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: