123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with my PPC Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiggy316

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Help with my PPC Mac Mini Reply with quote

I have had my mac mini for about 4-5 years now and its worked just fine, ive even upgraded the hard drive to 120Gb. I reformatted my computer for some spring cleaning and installed leopard (ive had leopard on here for about a year now) and now my computer seems to be overheating and going into sleep mode on its own. i dlled temperature monitor from versiontracker.com and it would go to sleep mode around 123 degree f, and ive seen it go to 131.8 F. i decided to top off the top and let it sit there uncovered and avg temp seems to be around 116.0 and it occasionally spikes up to 120 but drops. my fan seems to be working (atleast i hear it), and ideas on what to do because i cant keep my mini uncovered forever.

Specs:
1.5GHz PowerPC G4
512 MB RAM
Mac OSX Ver 10.5.6
HD 120Gb/ 70Gb Avail
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they ever really made the temp sensor in the G4 chip any good by the time they were making the 7447s.

Step one might be, since you took the cover off, to see if there is an accumulation of dust in the bits of the computer, or the vents? If so, perhaps one of those cans of compressed air(or whatever) for blowing out computers might be a good iDea.

When you do that, you can also upgrade the memory!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
wiggy316

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did that i cleaned all the vents and everything and still nothing
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Temperature Monitor, but it doesn't work with the G4 mini. It only returns the SMART sensor information for the hard drive. So, perhaps there is another issue with your mini?

Quote:
I am using the latest release of the application which should support my computer, but still no sensor at all, or only a S.M.A.R.T. hard drive temperature sensor is found. Is this normal?

Unfortunately there are some specific Macintosh systems which don't allow that sensor values can be read out by a normal application program. There are two different cases:

The computer uses a self-contained cooling control system. The hardware itself controls its own monitoring. No transfer of data from the sensor to the operating system is possible because there is no bus connection between the sensor and the actual computer.
The computer contains sensors accessible via a data bus, but cooling control is independent of Mac OS X. Apple does not provide any device drivers which would allow application programs to get data from the sensor. Only the firmware or a closed part of the operating system core has access to sensor data.
In both cases, it is not possible to develop an application program which could read out sensor values. The following Macintosh systems are affected by this problem:

PowerBook G4 Titanium (all models)
eMac (all models)
iMac G4 (all models)
Mac mini (all PowerPC-based models)

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Paddyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: (OVERHEATING) PPC MM SPONTANEOUSLY SLEEPING Reply with quote

Hi

I had a similar but unrelated uncalled for sleeping.

I'd swapped out a HDD.

No hot air coming out in the enclosure.

The sleeping stopped with the enclosure off.

Turns out I'd accidentally rotated the fan unit 90 putting it back. Easy to do with its symmetry and 4 functioning screw holes.

Too easy to do. Embarassed

Regards

Paddy
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its dieing dude sorry g4 computers dont last long because of there high heat value.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came out in 2005, and I'm still using it. Let me know how long "long" is, so I can plan it's replacement. Don't forget to factor in that it runs 24/7.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out the stock mac mini g4 is only 1.2 ghz his is 1.5 tells me someone has overclocked the processor i would do a complete system clean strip down the machine clean the heatsink replace the the heat sink glue and clean the fan also make sure the fan is working also for hard drive size max is 100 gig's to 150 gigs so your good there no problem's there i would do a full clean also check the capacitors on the main board to see if yours has been overclocked

this should help narrow down the issues[/u]
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4 minis came in 1.25, 1.42, 1.33, and 1.5 GHz.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: