123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what up with iMac displays???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warp9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: what up with iMac displays??? Reply with quote

over the past few years, I have been hearing what I'd consider to be too many complaints and issues with iMac displays...

colors problems, wierd bands and artifacts across the display, and lately, some issue with a video card.

makes me think that, while the iMac is a cool looking computer with a decent price/performance ratio, those monitor issues are a headache I don't need.

Any thoughts? are these some isolated issues, or is something really ill with the iMac?

w9
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard anything like that at any Mac forum I've been at.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. When the aluminum 20" intel's came out I had to see one for myself. The screen is terrible when compared to a 20" cinema display. Viewing angle is terrible, color is terrible. Apple was even sued over this display. Google 20" iMac display issues and you'll see a mess of post. There are youtube post as well of the issues.

I would buy a 24" though in a heartbeat. Smile
tundraSQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 24" iMacs and the screens ROCK!!!!

Troll on......
warp9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
It's true. When the aluminum 20" intel's came out I had to see one for myself. The screen is terrible when compared to a 20" cinema display. Viewing angle is terrible, color is terrible. Apple was even sued over this display. Google 20" iMac display issues and you'll see a mess of post. There are youtube post as well of the issues.

I would buy a 24" though in a heartbeat. Smile

yeah, that matches what I recall, too...that the 20" iMacs were falsely advertised to be able to display millions of colors, when only the 24" model was able to. IIRC, it was revealed that the 20" units had an inferior display, but that this fact was concealed/lied about..

So, it's that issue combined with the wierd bands that some people have experienced (and posted about) and the latest thing I read about some issue with a radeon card which could not be reproduced in a Mac Pro with the same card, which is making me post these questions...

a 24" iMac would be the bee's knees for me on price and performance if I could be sure that the monitor issues are isolated and not caused by some design particularity of the iMac itself.

w9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: