123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appropriate Dual Layer (DL) disc speed for new Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comiconline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Appropriate Dual Layer (DL) disc speed for new Mini? Reply with quote

I just got the new Mac Mini. I want to take advantage of using dual laer discs, but i'm not sure which kind to get. It seems Verbatim is among the most reliable, so i figured i would go there. But what speed is appropriate?

Verbatim makes DVD+R DL discs in 2.4x (up to 6x) and 8x (up to 10x). The specs on the mini indicate it tops out for DL with 6x. Does that mean i need to use the 2.4x discs, since their top speed is the same?

On the other hand, since the drive is considered an 8x drive, and the faster Verbatim DL discs are called 8x, maybe those are more appropriate.

Obviously, burning at a faster rate would be nice, but i'm more concerned with compatibility. The online help person on the Apple site said 8x should be fine, but the Apple Store only sells 2.4x. That makes me even more confused. Since the DL discs are more expensive, i don't want to waste my money getting the wrong speed. Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks so much.
mdgm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Appropriate Dual Layer (DL) disc speed for new Mini? Reply with quote

comiconline wrote:

the drive is considered an 8x drive

The 8x is for single layer discs in DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD+RW. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/DVR-TS08

I would get the cheaper, slower speed discs. I think the faster speed discs should work, but won't be any faster due to the speed limitations of the drive. I think the discs would be backwards compatible with slower speeds, but I could be wrong. Someone with more experience with disc burning would be able to answer that.
Coldfire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't the speed be chosen according to what the TARGET drive is capable of reading at?

I burn music from Toast and on the odd ocassions where I forgot to set a slower speed, the CD-R would only play on the Mac but not on the Bose music system. OK, the latter is a little old but you get the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: