123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead pixel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microfox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Dead pixel Reply with quote

Hi

My wife and I have had LCD screens of all sort for the last 6-7 years without ever having a dead or a stuck pixel. Have we been lucky ? I don't know.

I'm considering an IMac as my next computer but after having read about dead pixels and Apple's return policy about them, I'm having second thoughts. Why spend $1,500- $2,000 for a all in one computer and take the risk of having dead pixels, a few weeks/months, later ?

What about your experience with IMacs and dead pixels ? What's the percentage of IMacs that is subject to this problem ?

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
tundraSQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can enlighten us with what you perceive apples pixel policy to be?

that being said...relax...there is no reason to think you would ever get an imac with more than 1 stuck/dead pixel. Its a non issue....unless having 1 or 2 dead pixels would somehow alter your computing experience. I mean if by chance that happened. i own 3 24" imacs and have zero stuck or dead pixels. i had a 17" FP iMac with a stuck pixel and i never ever gave it more than a glancing thought....
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to have a screen with even one noticeably dead pixel. It really would be an issue for me, and I would definitely be on Apples case straight away to get it try and get it swapped out.

Thankfully I've also never come across a screen which has had one.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
microfox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundraSQ wrote:
maybe you can enlighten us with what you perceive apples pixel policy to be?

that being said...relax...there is no reason to think you would ever get an imac with more than 1 stuck/dead pixel. Its a non issue....unless having 1 or 2 dead pixels would somehow alter your computing experience. I mean if by chance that happened. i own 3 24" imacs and have zero stuck or dead pixels. i had a 17" FP iMac with a stuck pixel and i never ever gave it more than a glancing thought....

As far as I know Apple and most other monitor companies will only replace in case there are so many pixels in a square inch or something like that. I have never seen an LCD monitor with a dead pixel BUT I would hate to have one right in the middle of the screen. I could maybe live with one located about half an inch from the right or left bezel but anything more conspicuous, no thanks.

If I buy a Mac mini or a Mac Pro with a monitor of my choice and this monitor has dead pixels a few months later, I can throw away the monitor, buy a new one for $200-$300 and still have a 100% working computer.

If this happens with an IMac, it looks like I'm stuck with a computer that works on a monitor that is "sick", That's my main concern at this point thus my question about the percentage of dead pixels happening, in real life.

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

tundraSQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then don't buy an iMac.... Razz
microfox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundraSQ wrote:
then don't buy an iMac.... Razz

I asked for some sort of percentage, for a reason...

macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try the lcd repair screen saver it display random colors and patterns and has been known to pix bad pixels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: