123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Better Mini Speaker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: A Better Mini Speaker Reply with quote

Let's face it, the internal Mini speaker is just too small. Reproduces most tones too softly and listening to Steve describe the next iMac G5 is impossible.

So I added a small external speaker that turns out to work really well and even looks OK. Used a RadioShack mono speaker which is housed in a decent 2" X 2" X 2" black enclosure. Their part number 19-318; cost $25.
There is no 110V power transformer needed.

Did not use the bracket and had to replace the 1/8 inch diam. plug with a stereo version to properly fit the Mini jack. Easy soldering job. BTW, the original cord was way too long for my needs.

Yes, it is not Dolby Suround Sound quality. Yes, it does not match the Mini regarding color. And yes, it does sound fine for routine sound reproduction.
ozwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use a set of powered, external speakers? I'm pretty sure the only reason the Mini even has a built-in speaker is so they can say it has a built-in speaker.
RJT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For special instances, such as watching a DVD, I do indeed use a set of powered speakers with a sub-woofer. However, space for me is limited and so I usually put the powered speakers away when not really needed.

The little Radioshack speaker fills the bill nicely when just doing regular work with standard apps., surfing for information or running software tests.

It is so small.
ozwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture? Razz
colt .45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent $20 on a logitech 2.1 system that puts out amazing sound/bass for the price.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJT wrote:
For special instances, such as watching a DVD, I do indeed use a set of powered speakers with a sub-woofer. However, space for me is limited and so I usually put the powered speakers away when not really needed.

The little Radioshack speaker fills the bill nicely when just doing regular work with standard apps., surfing for information or running software tests.

It is so small.

How do you have it mounted?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of JBL Duet II's at Amazon for $34 (free shipping) last week for my soon to be delivered mini. I saw these at one of the local Apple stores last week for $49.. They are not the best speakers, but will be perfect for what I am looking for (look great, small, and have decent sound). For big sound, I will be stremaing my iTunes through an Airport Express router through a digital optical cable to my high end Onkyo stereo and Polk Audio speakers...

I really liked the Klipsch speakers (Pro Companion?) at the Apple store, but I did not need that much speaker or want to spend that much money...
lojo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: A Better Mini Speaker Reply with quote

I have the Norwood Micro 2.1 Speaker System. They are great sounding speakers. I can't the find the specs on them. I have Googled to no avail for the specs. They were on sale for $39.99 when I purchased mine back in May. The color and design really compliment the Mini.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315405&pfp=srch1
RJT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you have it mounted?[/quote]

Reply to Blazer -

It presently just sits next to the Mini. When I have time I'll
likely use heavy duty double stick velcro and attach it to
the bottom of the table top (just below the Mini).

This speaker did come with mounting hardware (it would hang), but that really distracts from the nice appearance.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gads...those are those little speakers they use at banks when you're waiting in line that annouce what window is open. I guess it's cool in a kitschy sort of way, but wouldn't you rather put $25 toward some real speakers?

This does bring up a good point though, it would be really cool if one of these aftermarket companies came up with a set of speakers that matches the Mini's color/form factor/style...

So far these look promising, but who knows if they'll be available outside of Japan.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:

So far these look promising, but who knows if they'll be available outside of Japan.

Those look pretty cool!
iLife's a Bitch!
RJT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - those Japanese speakers cinemafia found trump the RadioShack
mono speaker I use. However, it comes down to what you want to accomplish.

These days I use a JLB Creature speaker system to reproduce music and DVD sound. But it is not possible to have this system available 24/7 due to space constraints.

So the little RadioShack speaker fills in nicely. Now out of sight, but the audio is fine for routine stuff (internet audio, beep tones and the like).

Frankly, I wish Apple had used a slightly better speaker inside the Mini. And I too hope that aftermarket vendors provide an even better UTILITY speaker, not speakers.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I've always wished Apple would do something like the Performa 6400 with their current towers...and given the technology that goes into a Bose Wave Radio, I'm sure it could be done near the size/form factor of the Mini.
MJRBIM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: JBL ON TOUR Reply with quote

I have a JBL OnTour speaker set attached to my Mac Mini - got it on eBay for around $40 US.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=ONTOUR/230&cat=HMM&ser=HMM

Good sound, and an excellent size/colour match for the Mini...but I wouldn't pay the retail price direct from JBL.
Schrambal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy user of the Logitech Z3 over here.

Great sound and base at a decent price. Just too bad I couldn't get my hands on the white version; the Z3i.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: