123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of Upgrades On the Way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2741

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Lots of Upgrades On the Way! Reply with quote

I've had my 1.42ghz/512MB/Combo Mini for about 2 weeks now and love OS X. I don't like how much memory it eats up though : (

I had planned on using an external firewire hard drive eventually, but I came into some extra unexpected cash this week due to an overzealous ebay bidder (I love selling on ebay sometimes!), so I spent the evening researching/looking at upgrade options.

So I ordered the PNY 1GB memory stick from newegg.com that has about a billion positive reviews from Mini owners. It seems I'm not in the norm for usage, as I usually have the following open at any one time:

Firefox (or Safari) with at least 2 tabs, sometimes more.
Mail
iTunes
and sometimes another app as well

This eats up a little under 500MB of memory on average. I do get the spinning beachball when I have too much stuff open. Hopefully the 1GB will help.

I also decided to go with the Newertech MiniStack. They're going for $89 plus $5 2-day air shipping. I have extra hard drives from my PC that I will use, specifically a couple of Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm/8mb drives. I plan on attaching the ministack to the mini and then copying the internal drive to the ministack drive and then booting off of the external. Once I verify it works I'll wipe the internal drive.

Oh, and I forgot - I ordered some speakers earlier in the week. The Harman Creature II's for $40 (refurbished direct from harman) off ebay.

So by the end of the week my mini will be as pimped out as possible. I'll post how it goes once everything is in.

mark
www.sixstringtheory.com
slickrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that you like OS X and the mini. I bet you're wondering why you waited so long to switch. 1GB is going to help you help you some with those beachballs. It helps even more when you're moving up from 256MB. Do you know if they have any more of the reburbished Creature II's direct from Harman on Ebay? I'm looking for some speakers myself. If so, got a link?
mark2741

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: one more thing... Reply with quote

Forgot to mention my monitor : )

The one problem I've had with the Mini so far is my monitor. Apparently I'm one of the unlucky ones in which the lower voltage output (according to various websites) of the Mini's video out is not agreeable to my 19" KDS Xflat monitor that I've had for about 4 years. I finally tweaked it enough (both the monitor settings, and using the color video tools in os x, as well as font shadowing in tinker tool) that it it's bearable. It will have to do for another 3 weeks until I receive a Dell 1905FP 19" LCD as a gift from my employer (5 year employment anniversary).

As much as I like my Mini's small footprint, had I not already known I was getting the Dell LCD I would have returned the Mini and spent all this money (plus much more) on an iMac : )

I've always been *real* cheap when it came to buying add-ons or upgrades for my PC. But I'm not too uncomfortable doing it for the mac for some reason.

mark
mark2741

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: harman creature II's Reply with quote

They have tons of those speakers. Do a search on ebay.

Here's what I did - I bid on a set on ebay. I put in a maximum bid of $38.07. Someone came along at the last minute and outbid me and they won the auction for $41.

So I look at another auction and bid $41.07 on that. 5 minutes after I bid, I get an email from harman with a 2nd chance offer on the original auction that I lost. They offered me a set of the speakers for $38.07. So I bought those and emailed them to tell them to cancel my bid on the 2nd auction. Pain in the tail but in the end everything was sorted out.

So if you were looking to save some bucks I'd say bid on a set with a price of like $35 and see if they send you a 2nd chance offer like they did me. I'd be interested in knowing the "threshold" they have for sending out the 2nd chance offers. I'm sure it's somewhere between $30 and $37. So you may want to try $30. They have so many auctions that you wouldn't have to wait too long to find out.

Let me know how you make out. I'd like to know if I could have saved a few more bucks : )

mark
www.sixstringtheory.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: