123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizardgold

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Switching Reply with quote

I have to admit that my choice is the iMac G5 with it all in the 20in screen. But am wondering if the mini might suit my purpose and save me spending a pile of cash that I don't need to.

Mostly I want to use it for surfing and email and I dare say I will use the iLife thing for the photos etc. I would like to be able to use it for making graphics for web pages and also for making web pages also.

At the moment I use CorelDraw and photo paint for the graphics and Frontpage for making web pages. Front page although has faults is really easy to use to make web pages. Have been using PC's for over 12 years now and I am not too worried about switching to the Mac. I saw the keynote speech by Steve Jobs and I was pretty amazed at what Tiger can do.

Is the graphics capability in the mini up to putting a large screen on it? Then maybe I could start with the mini and move to the G5 if the mini isn't up to doing what I want with the graphics. I suppose I should try and get to an Apple store really to see a mac Mini in action.

The other thing with the mini is the size of the hard disk. My music collection is quite big and I wonder if the 80GB hard disk is going to be big enough?
bubba

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting roped into an all-in-one machine isn't what you really want to do. You can get a dell LCD for next to nothing ($250 for 19", $400 for a 20").
wizardgold

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: But they are so pretty Reply with quote

Pretty and stylish and very tidy on the desktop.

I did look at the prices of the Dell monitors and for the 20inch one that is the same screen as the mac 20in (more or less) is 800 euro. The mac mini is going to cost 500 euro so I am looking at 1300 euro and then probably I will need to get an external hard disk to add to it and I will be getting close to the price of the iMac.

The other option of the G5 machine would be nice but starting to get very pricey.
bubba

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I'd probably either wait on the next rev of mini's or get a G5... but that's me Smile The fact that you need a G5 to host a 3way video conference and to play any of the HD quicktime movies is pushing me more towards the G5 everyday.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
At this point, I'd probably either wait on the next rev of mini's or get a G5... but that's me Smile The fact that you need a G5 to host a 3way video conference and to play any of the HD quicktime movies is pushing me more towards the G5 everyday.

I very well may add a second iMac to the stable before the end of the year. The BIG question is...an iMac or a PowerMac.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: