123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VLC Media Player 0.9.9 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: VLC Media Player 0.9.9 Released Reply with quote

VLC Media Player 0.9.9 Released
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

The VideoLAN team today announced the release of VLC 0.9.9, an update to their popular cross-platform media player. According to the release notes, this update improves video performance on Intel-based Macs. It also includes an experimental native decoder for Real Video 3.0 and 4.0 using FFmpeg, as well as fixes to the Real Media demuxer. This should improve Real Media File support on all platforms. The VLC media player 0.9.9 weighs in at 19.2MB and requires an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1178.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great for me.
I'm not into Plex, Frontrow, Boxee etc.

I can find my video files without issue and VLC works like a charm.
Maddow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Mac version of VLC have a "minimal view" without the controls or timeline like in the Windows version? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

It might be generational BB. I'm not really those applications either. I can understand the need for a media center, but I like simple players like QuickTime and VLC on the desktop. Heck, I don't even mind playing things through iTunes. Does anyone even do that anymore? Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

It might be generational BB. I'm not really those applications either. I can understand the need for a media center, but I like simple players like QuickTime and VLC on the desktop. Heck, I don't even mind playing things through iTunes. Does anyone even do that anymore? Smile

I never even used iTunes as a video player... just audio.
I can see using a media center app for a television or any other read only device but I don't really need it on the desktop. Perhaps if I had a huge video library like my iTunes audio library.

I wouldn't be surprised if VLC came up with a visual interface. I bet there are already plugins around. I haven't looked for them.

Did you notice that VLC is at ver 0.9.9. For such a mature product I'm surprised. I wonder what to expect when it hits version 1.0 .
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Did you notice that VLC is at ver 0.9.9. For such a mature product I'm surprised. I wonder what to expect when it hits version 1.0 .

The icon will be changed to a bulldozer for 1.0.

That was actually the April Fool's day joke on their website. Laughing

This is what's coming with 1.0.

Quote:

Playback
Frame-By-Frame, Improved frame accuracy
Timeshifting and record on the fly for all medias
RTSP trickplay
Faster caching
Faster seeking
Vout and Aout recycling as in 0.8.x
Post-processing is back

New Codecs
Dolby Digital Plus - E-AC3
TrueHD/MLP
Real Video 3.0 and 4.0
Blu-Ray LPCM
Dirac encoding in Ogg
Faster decoding and demuxing
Rewrite of subtitles core

Other
Windows CE experimental port
Maemo port
HTML export of the playlist
Interface customization on Windows and linux
Better GTK integration
Faster

http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2009/01/09/VLC-1.0-and-VideoLAN-for-2009
ottmar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: subtitles in VLC Reply with quote

hi peeps. I may be being stupid, but is there an easy way to override the subtitles files in latest VLC? I updated from 0.8.smth and now instead of playing the subs in a goodly sized yellow Arial font (clearly the best choice Wink) it uses the sub fonts allocated by the file creators (sadly in some cases terrible garish and more importantly difficult to read). Surely they must be a way to default to my choice but can't seem to see amongst the advanced options.
22" Samsung T220
Apple Keyboard
4GB iPod nano
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: subtitles in VLC Reply with quote

ottmar wrote:
hi peeps. I may be being stupid, but is there an easy way to override the subtitles files in latest VLC? I updated from 0.8.smth and now instead of playing the subs in a goodly sized yellow Arial font (clearly the best choice Wink) it uses the sub fonts allocated by the file creators (sadly in some cases terrible garish and more importantly difficult to read). Surely they must be a way to default to my choice but can't seem to see amongst the advanced options.

VLC -> Preferences -> Subtitles & OSD. You should be able to change them there, no?
ottmar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: subtitles in VLC Reply with quote

scooper wrote:

VLC -> Preferences -> Subtitles & OSD. You should be able to change them there, no?

Thanks for your reply Smile. Well I've already changed to my settings under Subtitles & OSD but it still shows the original font subs not my yellow ones. Could it be something as simple as Autodetect subs? But then I would have to select the sub file each time I watch something...hmm.
22" Samsung T220
Apple Keyboard
4GB iPod nano
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

For me it's not generational, it's laziness! Frontrow is too easy to use. If I need something other than frontrow I right click and "open with" VLC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: