123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RSS Reader Recommendation for the iPod Touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: RSS Reader Recommendation for the iPod Touch Reply with quote

I'm looking for a decent RSS Reader to install on my iPod Touch. I have wifi at home but no Internet connection at all during the day when I'm at work.

I want to be able to turn on the Touch in the morning and download all my feeds and store them on the Touch for reading later. I want one that will definitely download the full articles and not just a summary. I've never really played with RSS feeds before so I'm a bit of a newbie on this one.

There seem to be loads of apps on the app store and I really don't want to have to work through them, especially the ones which aren't free.

Any suggestions on the one I should try first. Don't mind if I have to pay so doesn't have to be a free one.

Thanks

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
microfox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RSS Reader Recommendation for the iPod Touch Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm looking for a decent RSS Reader to install on my iPod Touch. I have wifi at home but no Internet connection at all during the day when I'm at work.

I want to be able to turn on the Touch in the morning and download all my feeds and store them on the Touch for reading later. I want one that will definitely download the full articles and not just a summary. I've never really played with RSS feeds before so I'm a bit of a newbie on this one.

There seem to be loads of apps on the app store and I really don't want to have to work through them, especially the ones which aren't free.

Any suggestions on the one I should try first. Don't mind if I have to pay so doesn't have to be a free one.

Thanks

I have been using Netnewswire ever since I got my first Mac. I also use it on my IPod Touch. Very good and very free...

http://www.newsgator.com/individuals/default.aspx

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the repy microfox.

I also posted this question on MacHeist as well and NetNewsWire came back as the most popular choice, I think Free has a lot to do with that LOL

I installed it this morning and have a slight problem with it. You set your feeds up via NewsGator which worked ok. However I have noticed missing feeds on the Touch compared to the NewsGator listings.

Another issue I have is I've selected to leave read posts on the Touch for 3 days and unread for 2 weeks, but each time I read a post it disappears from the listings.

Does this happen on yours ?

anyone used Newsstand I like the look of that especially the landscape view

microfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

I installed it this morning and have a slight problem with it. You set your feeds up via NewsGator which worked ok. However I have noticed missing feeds on the Touch compared to the NewsGator listings.

Another issue I have is I've selected to leave read posts on the Touch for 3 days and unread for 2 weeks, but each time I read a post it disappears from the listings.

Does this happen on yours ?

First issue: I don't have this problem. At first, the software on my mini was synchronized with the Newsgator site and a few years later, I added the software to my Touch. Do you have the software also installed on your Mac ?

Second issue: My settings are for 12 hours and one week and it works exactly as it's supposed to.

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't have it installed on my Mac.

I think it might be working, just need to see what happens when blogs are updated. I suspect I've messed things up after setting it up, I removed one of the feeds from NewsGator tonight then did a refresh on the Touch. I then added the feed back to NewGator and I could see on the Touch it grabbed the feed and updated. Only problem is nothing showed up. I suspect the Touch has already flagged the messages as read, if the blog author updates tomorrow hopefully I'll start to see things appearing.

I created a test blog of my own and used that to test things. The new post I added did show up on the Touch and after reading it, it has stayed available, so hopefully its sorted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: