123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 9.04 beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Ubuntu 9.04 beta Reply with quote

I just installed it on my mini using VirtualBox. I chose VirtualBox and not VMware fusion because the new Xorg (1.6) doesn't play well with the tools (yet), but I was able to find a website that explained how to fix VB tools so that they would work. It involved changing one number of one line in the installation file - 1.6 to 1.6.0, and then running the installer. It worked and I have all the VB tools working. Although VB tools don't include drag and drop of files between host and guest, the shared folders option is almost as good.

Version 9.04 looks pretty good, and most people will want it in place of previous versions. It includes an upgraded kernel (2.6.28 ), upgraded openOffice (3.0), and upgraded gnome (and KDE if you install it). The graphics are definitely nicer than previous versions, including the startup screen and the default desktop picture (MacOSX graphics type, but orange-brown colour). Bootup time is improved, and apps seem to open faster. The only problem I did experience was a drop of my internet connection (MacOSX pass-through, handled through VirtualBox) after about 15 minutes of use. It happened twice and required a startup to fix. However, this morning there were 180mb of 9.04 updates, including files that may solve the problem. I believe it is solved, but I'm still testing this.

Ubuntu 9.04 got good stability marks, even as an alpha so if you have spare room on your disk, you might want to try the beta as I have. FYI, the final version will be out at the end of next month.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 9.04 beta Reply with quote

I resisted downloading it Fox...

Given my Linux history.....it took some will~power Razz

But that said, I will most definitely be giving the KDE final version a spin.**

Cheers

Aqua

** I may even try out the Xubuntu version as well...

You know my fondness for XFCE... Cool

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aqua:

Look into my eyes; you are getting sleeeepy, sleeeepy.
When I snap my fingers you will awake.
You will go to your computer and install Ubuntu.
Smile
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear! I'll wait until the official release though and I'll just do the upgrade through synaptic.... Gotta love Linux! No need to buy or even make discs.... geez.... what a concept! Wink
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Aqua:

Look into my eyes; you are getting sleeeepy, sleeeepy.
When I snap my fingers you will awake.
You will go to your computer and install Ubuntu.
Smile

Haha...

Those olde Jedi tricks don't work on me.... Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Good to hear! I'll wait until the official release though and I'll just do the upgrade through synaptic....

Not that I blame you, though the beta is stable. Still, it's changing a lot. Yesterday on the Update Manager, I download some 175 file updates from an installation less than a week old!
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ubuntu guys,

I got 8.04 xfce working on my 1.42 PPC Mini - BUT, never satisfied, I have ordered a Dell Mini 9 netbook with 8.04, intending to hackintosh with a legal retail Leopard "someday".

So I may finally join the Intel Mac community via a back door. Meantime more Linux doodling...
Dell Mini9 Netbook Hackintosh OS X 10.5.7 Leopard
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
HP6645C 566mhz 256mb Xubuntu (semi-retired)
HP Laptop Athlon 2500+ WinXP
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep that 8.04 warm for another 30 days when 9.04 comes out. You'll definitely want to upgrade.
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox - Just noticed the MSIWind in your sig running Ubuntu. I ordered the Dell Mini 9 Ubuntu but its backordered til 4/29. Hows the Wind/Ubuntu working??
Dell Mini9 Netbook Hackintosh OS X 10.5.7 Leopard
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
HP6645C 566mhz 256mb Xubuntu (semi-retired)
HP Laptop Athlon 2500+ WinXP
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Wind, and it runs Ubuntu very nicely. I believe that even the wireless is compatible out of the box with 8.10 and 9.04, but even if it's not, the necessary files to make it work are posted on the MSI Wind site.

The Wind is light and has a very nice display and keyboard. Battery life is less than optimal; buy one with a 6-cell battery if you can.

I've had the chance to compare my Wind to a Dell Mini 9, as one of the members of my local Linux chapter has the Dell. It's a nice machine, too. Biggest advantage of the Dell is its strong wireless, one of the best I've ever seen for picking up signals. The display is nice as well, but I'd take a 10" over a 9" any day. The Dell gets better battery life, but it weighs as much or more than the Wind, despite the smaller display. Dell touchpad is better than the Wind's, but the keyboard of the Wind is better.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I really like the Wind, and it runs Ubuntu very nicely. I believe that even the wireless is compatible out of the box with 8.10 and 9.04, but even if it's not, the necessary files to make it work are posted on the MSI Wind site.

The Wind is light and has a very nice display and keyboard. Battery life is less than optimal; buy one with a 6-cell battery if you can.

I've had the chance to compare my Wind to a Dell Mini 9, as one of the members of my local Linux chapter has the Dell. It's a nice machine, too. Biggest advantage of the Dell is its strong wireless, one of the best I've ever seen for picking up signals. The display is nice as well, but I'd take a 10" over a 9" any day. The Dell gets better battery life, but it weighs as much or more than the Wind, despite the smaller display. Dell touchpad is better than the Wind's, but the keyboard of the Wind is better.

If I may chime in, RE: Wind Wireless......

The Wind uses a Realtek Wireless card as well as NIC card. The NIC card is no real issue, however, the Wireless card has caused issues even in XP. Ubuntu does NOT natively support the Realtek card but, you can compile drivers for it which are available on the Wind/Ubuntu forums.

My suggestion:

Swap the wireless card with either a IntelPro/Wireless 3945ABG or Gigabyte Aircruiser GN-W101GT both of which will work natively with XP and Ubuntu while the latter will also work natively with OS X, should you want to triple boot your Wind.

I put the IntelPro/Wireless in my Wind and can say for sure that my wireless connections in XP and Ubuntu are not only better but, I get far better range as well.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: the latest version of VirtualBox (2.2) now works with Ubuntu 9.04 without any fixes or patches. Just a routine installation.
valefortia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.ru
neatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ru
qualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.ru
readingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.ru
salestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.ru
semifinishmachining.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.ru
tenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.ru
kaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.ru
kleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.ru
lacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.ru
landingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rufactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.ru
galvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ru
haemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ru
haphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ru
heatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valefortia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
kdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkd
tarizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al16PECHMaAdChUnGaChMeGrLaTrTeTeDeTeTeIrXXBaViElDaJaShGaCoLe
JeAlCeArPlGlXIAxReNiIIOlONTePaXVJaSiCoLyJuMaOlPrsiBOELBiRa
SKNeRAVaFrNALaMaSiCoJoDaTsELElPaMaAgElPaNaDCWeMMJoPNZeERDe
AuMohaFHCRZeZeRoAnRoOtOPXVskAuIIpkZeTiJiAuHospAlAgPDDCskZe
XXWehaJeJeAEBoNoMaBoSphaTrLePrplDoLaSTLEXXThFoKaBrRuEdZoLR
SvWiDVDaSuOrRoRuBoNaHeThZaLPHeInGrNoFrXXAVNaLiIIIXXIMiAnBa
DiLeNeTeClDoStPrTrRoBWPDToXXERHaDiSFwwFVIaMumaMoLewwSiFeMe
XXAnJehaAgRIMeLiCDEnUCBaAnTrOvHaCDNa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: