123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New I'm a PC ad hits hard at Apple
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Guys, your responses were very interesting. But here's the one that made me pee myself with laughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHn7qHGyFA (17 seconds)

Laughing

I don't see Lauren calling him.

Lauren will probably end up meeting some super rich guy out of this though. After she marries him, she'll be riding around in a 911 Cabriolet instead of the Beetle and blogging about it on her 17" MacBook Pro. Smile
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
lynx2cross wrote:
Steve Jobs has already responded to this type of question when it comes to price, And I love his answer, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0qeb_rJYU&NR=1

I like the answer as well.

Basically Apple is content focusing on a niche segment of the market. That's fine by me. I'd rather have Apple stay focused on quality products that mate nicely with a quality OS.

M$ doesn't care what people purchase as long as it ships with Windows. They get the same amount of Windows royalty money from a $500 PC as they do from a $5000 PC (assuming it has the same version of Windows).

MS also makes money if the Windows licensed computer company ships a computer without Windows! Also, if a company with a Windows Corporate deal buys computers, any computers including Macs, they have to pay MS for each one whether or not Windows is installed on the computers.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstein61 wrote:
I think its a great ad.

I'm a fan of Apple gear, but I agree. There's another way to determine the success of an ad. Are people talking about it? You have to say that this ad is successful on that front too. It definitely seems to be the talk of the intertubes.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynx2cross wrote:
Steve Jobs has already responded to this type of question when it comes to price, And I love his answer, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0qeb_rJYU&NR=1

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how every other computer company in the world can produce a 15" or 17" laptop for under $1000 dollars with the exception of Apple. Most of these systems aren't junk either. The software may be, but not the actual hardware. Most of the parts and chipsets in these computers are the same anyways. Listen I'm a Mac user, but I'm also for these ads. Why? I can't afford one either. And even if I had the money, I would have a hard time justifying the price. JMHO
lynx2cross

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Slippery Rock, I have to agree with you on that point. Yes OS X is great and without it we just have shiny little machines sitting on our desk. Now we know that OS X itself isn't worth $1000+ dollars, because you can buy it for $129, so the other $900-$1200+ is being spent on the machine itself. As much as Pystar is hated by apple and for good reason, they have proven a very important point and that is it's not so much the hardware that's important but it's the OS. Hardware is easily swapped out and upgraded but a desktop machine or a notebook is only as good as the OS it's running on.

I think in terms of the prices Apple charges it's one of those things in life where we are paying for the name. There's no doubt apple puts a lot of thought into every aspect of what they present to consumers. Everything apple makes is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. That's what we are paying for. I personally like the fact that the place I'm buying the software from is also supplying the computer because it makes for a much more reliable system.

Apple can be considered a premium club and if you want to be apart of it then you have to pay the dues. And if you don't then get a windows pc, but I don't think anyone has the right to demand a company lower their prices. When I don't want to buy something because I think it's to expensive then I don't buy it, that's the way you show a company they are charging to much for a product and if enough people are doing that then usually the company catches on and does something to satisfy buyers because money talks.

I would compare it to Toyota vs Bentley, which company do you think sells the most cars? Do you think Bentley cares that Toyota outsells them? Do you think Bentley is even considering trying to lower their prices to compete with Toyota or with other similar cars in that class. Of course not. And that seems to be Apple's stance. They are are a "luxury" computer company and they are not all that concerned with beating their competitor. They just want to continue to make beautiful products for their loyal fan base and if they attract new users that's icing on the cake. I think apple has always been this type of company which is why they have never even come close to reaching the masses in terms of market share.

Now I'm certainty someone who considered price when I was looking for a new desktop machine last year. I was sick of windows and didn't want to take a gamble on Vista after everything I heard about it. Apple makes beautiful products and I did my research and heard good things about OS X. I was willing to pay a little more to get what I really wanted. Had the mini not been around would I have paid double for an iMac, yes because I was that committed to switching over and I think so many others who are first time mac users feel the same way.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second commercial is much lamer than the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRF9-5itZA4

Why hasn't someone picked a Dell, Sony or Toshiba yet? I know it's just two people, but it doesn't even seem like they want to show other brands. Micosoft and HP must have something going here.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty much confirms it to me - there has to be some agreement between MS and HP on these ads.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something seems a little strange here. That being said, HP is probably the most offered brand at retail. Our Best Buys are overwhelming filled with their laptops. I know one thing though. If Microsoft gave me the money for a PC, it would probably be for a Sony. I'm always impressed with the looks and quality of their computers. I think the laptops from Dell and HP feel cheap in comparison.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Lauren one when it first came out, I couldn't believe she actually said she wasn't cool enough to have a Mac.

but whilst looking for the new ad on Youtube I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5PBzb1dJc

She didn't even go into the Apple Store. How Lame is that.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I saw the Lauren one when it first came out, I couldn't believe she actually said she wasn't cool enough to have a Mac.

but whilst looking for the new ad on Youtube I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5PBzb1dJc

She didn't even go into the Apple Store. How Lame is that.

Back and to the right, back and to the right, back and to the right...

People are looking into this like the assassination of John F. Kennedy or something. Surprised

I could be wrong, but I don't think that proves anything. I wouldn't doubt that all of those people are paid actors or stand-ins. People don't end up in a national commercial by mistake, or at least without signing a consent form or waver. She could have gone into the store before filming or something. It just wasn't in real-time like commercial makes it appear.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its only actors, I just think it’s a bit lame to give the impression she went into the Apple store when she clearly didn't.

It wouldn’t have taken long to let the guy just walk out of shot Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to give the impression that I'm defending or digging these ads, but I actually liked the first one much better. This guys just seems like a jerk with a mixed message. Plus, Lauren was a hottie. I think they should give her another grand to buy something else. Smile

Rascal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to see one of these commercials tonight. You know one thing that wasn't mentioned is that you can go to the apple store on the internet and buy a refurb Mac for a pretty fair price in my opinion. It comes with the same warranty that a brand new Mac comes with. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only windows based computers that are refurbished come with a 90 day warranty I could be wrong about that, if I am please correct me. When I was looking in to buying a new computer I looked for a very long time. Dell has an "outlet" on their website where you can buy used and refurbished but their prices didn't really jump out at me. I always wanted a Mac but just never pulled the trigger on one until a couple weeks ago. I went for a refurb previous generation mac mini and I got set up with a dell 20" monitor Macally mouse and keyboard for around $604.So it cost me $600 for a new desktop computer. No its not a super computer but for it being so small it packs a lot of power. In my opinion that's what apple is about, inovation. I had a small budget and I shopped around. I was able to get what I wanted and didn't break the bank in the process. The other computers that I looked at were going to cost more than that. My last gateway laptop which is dead after 2 years cost more than that. This is by far the coolest and most user friendly computer that I ever owned. At this point I will never go back. When I went to the stores to look at the HP's, Dells, Toshiba's, and Acer computers they just didn't seem to be put together very well. It almost felt like if you picked them up wrong they were going to break. It was said more or less in a previous post to this topic, you get what you pay for. They may be cheaper but you also may get nickel and dimed. Times are tight. I will definitely agree with that but you also have to watch out not everyone is out for your best interest either. Windows based PC's just seem to slow down after a while. My dad just bought a 3 user pack of anti virus software for his computers so there is $25 down the drain. It just seems like there is to much maintenance on windows PC's. If their running ads they must be scared and after finally owning a Mac, they should be.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kid and his mom go with a Sony Vaio in the third commercial. I think that should put to rest the HP conspiracies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qui43P1kztw
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have to watch this one! Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJSuduTrPs
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: