123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD ups My Book external drives to 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: WD ups My Book external drives to 2TB Reply with quote

WD ups My Book external drives to 2TB
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

WD today announced the availability of its My Book Studio Edition and My Book Mac Edition external hard drives in capacities of 2TB. According to the company, these drives are an ideal solution for creative professionals and video editors. The 2TB My Book Studio Edition is priced at $380 and comes equipped with FireWire 400/800, USB 2.0 and eSATA. The 2TB My Book Mac Edition is priced at $330 and features a USB 2.0 interface. Both models come pre-formatted HFS+ Journaled out of the box and include connecting cables.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1174.html
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost rather start with a Drobo or have something with more redundancy at that price.
cheef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy the MyBook Studio Edition II with two 1TB drives for less money. It also opens up for service and does RAID 1.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who finds it weird that the Mac Edition isn't FireWire? Not even FireWire 400?

P.S.: If the MyBook Studio Edition II is as loud as the one I have (two internal 500GB drives to make 1GB) then it's much louder than my Mac mini.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it weird that the Mac Edition isn't FireWire? Not even FireWire 400?

It comes in two-tone coloring though. Rolling Eyes

Firewire 400 is pretty much dead, but it should come with 800. Then you have the Studio drive that comes with eSATA, which probably makes it more expensive. Now, what Mac comes with eSATA again? I know you do it with cards, but none of them come standard that way.
pmcd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
I would almost rather start with a Drobo or have something with more redundancy at that price.

I have a 500gig Seasate in a Macally FW800 external case (fanless) which boots my Mini(09). I also have a DNS323 which is actually nice. On any Airport Extreme BS (new one) I have a 500 gig external USB drive attached. It seems to me that things have lost their way in my setup and there are too many variables so I have been thinking of the Drobo and just attach it to my Mini. There are 2 problems:

1- If I use FW800 to attach to the Mini then can I still boot from my Macally FW800 which would attach to the Drobo's other FW800 port? Would the Drobo slow the boot drive down? As it is the FW800 booting is about 50% faster than the internal booting.

2- Is the Drobo silent? I don't want to hear a PC fan sitting under my TV!

The idea of the Drobo seems great, but I keep reading about noise and other issues...

Thank's,

philip
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up another 1 TB MyBook Home Edition at Costco this weekend. Still has FW 400, USB2, and eSATA.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: