123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini + Transit + Iomega 1TB External Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smohrle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini + Transit + Iomega 1TB External Drive Reply with quote

Hi All -
I have been researching this and think I might have a good solution, but would like to check it out with some people that might have already tried it before spending the money on the system. Sooo...here is what I would like to do:

1. I want to be able to watch recorded DVD that reside on the Iomega external hard drive. These are normal store bought DVD's.

2. I have the Klipsch 5.1 optical speakers system.

3. We have DISH, and I just want to watch that, don't really care if it is hooked up in this system.

4. Use a programmable touchscreen remote.

Soo...here is what I have so far:
Mac Mini 1.42
M-Audio Transit
Some kind of cable to go to a Plasma HDTV screen. (not sure on this one)
Some kind of Plasma TV (would like 42-50") - any suggestions based on above req.'s would be gladly appreciated.

So, my main concern is getting some really good audio for the movie's and making sure the mini can run the networked recorded dvd files with the larger screen size and no synching issues.....Is this possible? I have also looked at EyeHome and EyeTV 500, but not sure if I really need to throw these into the mix....

Thanks for any help...
Sarah
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini + Transit + Iomega 1TB External Drive Reply with quote

smohrle wrote:

Some kind of cable to go to a Plasma HDTV screen. (not sure on this one)

More than likely you will need to use a HDMI to DVI cable unless the Plasma has a direct DVI input.

Quote:
So, my main concern is getting some really good audio for the movie's and making sure the mini can run the networked recorded dvd files with the larger screen size and no synching issues.

I have taken a slight hit with audio and video quality. I am using Handbrake so the movies show up in Front Row and my iPod. You should be fine if you rip your movies with MTR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: