123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Row for Mac mini now!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Front Row for Mac mini now!!!!! Reply with quote

GD how cool is Front Row! I bet all you Mac HTPC guys are drooling!

http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in the software forum earlier with some questions about Front Row, I'm extremely excited, I will definetly be using my Mac mini as an HTPC if this thing gets sent out to all mac users.

My post is here http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2241
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... I didn't see your post!

I am just as excited about this as you are. I pray that Apple sells the software and remote or bundles it with the Mac mini. I think it would help them sell more minis. I actually think it was the most important "groundbreaking" news of the day. I'm trying to watch the event right now, but it keeps timing out. Is anyone else out there having any luck with the video?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/specialeventoct05/
e3mw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished watching the entire keynote, it timed out several times, but finally caught up with itself and I was able to watch the whole thing.

I love the way Steve delivers his keynotes! His stuff is almost as entertaining to watch as some of the TV shows they're now offering for download. hehe. Man I am super excited about Front Row, I seriously hope that Mini owners won't be left out of the fun because of the core image thing.

It's also interesting to note that there is a store page devoted to the new remote over at

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71301/wo/Hl6ZdgXvgjOl2HCyDK41ksB8RSt/1.0.15.1.0.8.25.7.11.2.1

The downside is, it says that it wont ship for 2-3 weeks, maybe Apple will bundle Front Row with this remote and roll it out to all existing mac owners? I sure hope so. I could also go for a free download from Apple,but I really want the remote too, seeing Jobs use it at the keynote makes me want to get it right now! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:

The downside is, it says that it wont ship for 2-3 weeks, maybe Apple will bundle Front Row with this remote and roll it out to all existing mac owners? I sure hope so. I could also go for a free download from Apple,but I really want the remote too, seeing Jobs use it at the keynote makes me want to get it right now! Smile

Apple should sell the remote with Front Row software for $50. I just got done watching today's event. I got a good chuckle out of the Photo Booth demonstration.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Apple should sell the remote with Front Row software for $50.

A bundle would be a good idea. Seems like they really go together anyway. Might as well offer them together at a slight discount.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the new remote is going to go with the new universal ipod dock connector (FINALLY), so don't get your hope up that it is being sold with the idea that FrontRow is going to be for all mac owners. Mad

FC
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that Apple would keep such a fine App exclusive to any mac system. Front row, and that sweet little remote, will be released for other macs. It's just a matter of when and how.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the Front Row program and the Mini are made for each other and that this is a real sign that Apple is taking this "Digital Hub" idea to a whole other level!!! I like what I see!!! Cool
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:
I have a hard time believing that Apple would keep such a fine App exclusive to any mac system. Front row, and that sweet little remote, will be released for other macs. It's just a matter of when and how.

I think Apple is just trying to jump start sluggish iMac sales by keeping it exclusive.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
jcleekm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple is just trying to jump start sluggish iMac sales by keeping it exclusive.[/quote]

Apple will be Apple (well Apple could be Apple) Rolling Eyes

The iMac is the worst choice for front row..........Why would some one look into HTPC software/hardware and then just use a 17 or 20 inch display?

People are going to want to hook it up to their home theaters (hence the name HOME THEATER personal commuter) which generally includes HDTV's and projectors and some sort of AV receiver and 5 to 7 speakers) not a 20 inch iMac with its retarded intergraded display and crappy 2 speakers. (Might as well toss out the home theater in HTPC)

The mini is a better choice since you can hook it up to newer HDTV's with DVI or VGA inputs.......Even the ibook is a better choice than the iMac. Take movies on the road with you and have a spiffy interface and remote to boot Wink

But what you really want is a power Mac since it’s the only Mac with an additional internal hard drive slot and PCI/PCI-X slots......

But the is a pre emptive rant, Apple could very well see the light and have a remote/software bundle for all Mac owners but then again Apple could just as easily make a really retarded decision ( and be the Apple people like me have come to expect, see my comment about Power Macs) and keep their not so home theater solution exclusive to the worst product suited to be a HTPC……….

Or maybe this should be called the Apple Theater PC since it is not really a "home theater" solution except in the collective minds of Apple because like all good thinking distorted nannies Apple knows best be it only in thier minds........
k3lso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did u notice when you go to the frontrow page , you can see the imac and the MAC MINI icons? http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html
14" 600Mhz G3 iBook 256Mb Ram
20 Gb iPod
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3lso wrote:
Did u notice when you go to the frontrow page , you can see the imac and the MAC MINI icons? http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html

I got a little excited when I first saw the mini on the Front Row page. I think it's mostly for site navigation because the Mac mini is on every page. The iMac is on every Mac mini page. The iPod pages are done the same way.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcleekm wrote:

But the is a pre emptive rant, Apple could very well see the light and have a remote/software bundle for all Mac owners but then again Apple could just as easily make a really retarded decision ( and be the Apple people like me have come to expect, see my comment about Power Macs) and keep their not so home theater solution exclusive to the worst product suited to be a HTPC……….

To be honest... I'm not really 100% sure how the remote works with the iMac. Where is the IR receiver for the remote on the iMac? Apple would have to offer some kind of universal IR receiver for all the other Macs or start integrating the IR receivers. I'm really surprised Apple didn't make the remote BT.
jcleekm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
jcleekm wrote:

To be honest... I'm not really 100% sure how the remote works with the iMac. Where is the IR receiver for the remote on the iMac? Apple would have to offer some kind of universal IR receiver for all the other Macs or start integrating the IR receivers. I'm really surprised Apple didn't make the remote BT.

I wonder if by chance my Windows Media Center remote would work
with front row Idea

It comes with a USB remote reciever and you can buy just the remote, just not XPMCE Rolling Eyes unless you fork out at least $1500 for a HTPC or have a MSDN subscription
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: