123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 8.04 0n 1.42 PPC Mini - no wifi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu 8.04 0n 1.42 PPC Mini - no wifi Reply with quote

I installed a new HD in my old G4 mini and left a blank partition for Ubuntu experiments. I ran the live CD - airport came up but no internet connection. I recycled my cable modem and router, restarted live CD, and had wifi! so, i installed to the free space (about 40GB total partition), restarted - NO WIFI.

Rebooted OS X 4.11, NO WIFI.

Recycled modem and router, restarted OS X 4.11 - got wifi again. rebooted 8.04, no wifi.

Its maddening that it worked once on the live CD but won't connect from the HD.

Any tutorial links for detecting/starting network apppreciated. Airport appears to be working, just won't snag an IP.
Dell Mini9 Netbook Hackintosh OS X 10.5.7 Leopard
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
HP6645C 566mhz 256mb Xubuntu (semi-retired)
HP Laptop Athlon 2500+ WinXP
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodges,

(This is posted after I realized that you were running 8.04.)

Yours' is an older version of Ubuntu.

Try installing Intrepid Ibex 8.10 instead..

Not making any promises, but it may cure the problem.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.10/release/

Go down the page to "Alternate install CD"

Download and burn ISO then install.

Good luck

Aqua

Post amended in response to Fox's correction.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.

Last edited by Aquafire on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small correction on Aqua's post; the latest Ubuntu (8.10) is code-named Intrepid Ibex. The later kernels do provide better wireless support, but I don't know if 8.10 supports AirPort "out of the box". I know 8.04 doesn't because I had it installed on my G4 PowerBook for awhile. But even if it doesn't, all you need is b43-fwcutter, which you can get from the Ubuntu repository. This software extracts the AirPort firmware and installs it. The easiest way to get it is to connect your mini via ethernet, start up Ubuntu, and start up the program, Synaptic, which will go to the Ubuntu repositories and fetch the program you request.

The alternative is to install it from a terminal with the program, apt. These instructions should work for you. Note that you may need to have the kernel headers and other compiling bits already installed. If you don't, the following command from a terminal will get those for you:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

The Ubuntu forum has good information on how to get AirPort extreme wireless working on a Mac. Check there if you have further problems, or post here and I'll try to help you further.

One other comment - you should have the program, network-manager installed automatically when you install Ubuntu. This puts a little icon in the top panel by default, and this can be used to control your wireless connection. If for any reason you don't have it, you can get with:
Code:
sudo apt-get install network-manager

Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
A small correction on Aqua's post; the latest Ubuntu (8.10) is code-named Intrepid Ibex.

Fox

That's what I get for thinking of Jaunty Jackalopes' at the same time... Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I probably posted a bit prematurely without all the investigation I should have done. Since then I looked at the logs and got the comment sending me to the firmware. I also tried connecting with ethernet but that didn't work either, probably from my ineptness with the connection. So, I went and got the firmware using OS X and saved it to a fat32 flashdrive, along with the instructions for installing it to Linux.

Before i do that, one more newbie question: the instructions say I'm installing the firmware for the airport card. Will this revert to the proper firmware for OS X when boot OS X? (this is a dual boot install with yaboot, i choose "x" to boot OS X, "1" for 8.04). I don't want to lose the OS X wifi.

As for 8.10, I didn't see that image for the ppc, and I took 8.04 because it is supposed to be long-term. The problem with all these iso's seems to be the "non-free' licensing of the Broadcomm firmware - is that overcome in 8.10?
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the one for ppc
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.10/release/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc.iso

Installing firmware for Ubuntu shouldn't have any effect on OS X.

Most Linux distros don't add proprietary software by default, thus non-free, but make it easy for you to add it by adding non-free repository to your source list.
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg,

Is 8.10 worth the re-install?

and, how do you like your AAOne? I'm looking for a "library netbook" if the screen is big enough. I have a slow old 12" G3 iBook 600mhz 640mb.
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to apt-get dist-upgrade to the latest version, just watch for what it wants to remove and if you have a custom kernel, it may replace it which could break something. Read up from other sites on how its done.

I use pure debian with my systems and that is how I upgrade to the next release, such as from Lenny to Squeeze. Ubuntu could work somewhat different also.

As for the AAO I pretty much like it, since Mrs. Ghostdawg bought it for me, but mine has the 8.9" screen and I would have preferred at least a 10" screen. It is nice to carry around, not as heavy & bulky as most laptops.

Other than that, just go for it, for whatever you want to do.
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg,
i have about decided to wait for the next round of netbooks, I like the 12 inch screen and OS X Tiger on my iBook - I'll let it go until it dies, but its getting a little frazzly on the keyboard.
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend a dist upgrade for Ubuntu; I saw enough problems with it on forums to leave me thinking it's high risk. Might be better to save your /home folder and copy the contents that you installed there into a new installation of 8.10.

However, if you're basically happy with 8.04, a better strategy would be to live with it for another 6 weeks, as version 9.04 will be out at the end of April. There will be speed improvements in 9.04, so it will be worth upgrading to.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use pure debian with my systems and that is how I upgrade to the next release, such as from Lenny to Squeeze. Ubuntu could work somewhat different also.

Fox, you are correct and that is why I mention Ubuntu may work differently. I haven't used Ubuntu in a few years so I don't keep up with it much. It is also for this reason I use debian, which is much easier for me to upgrade to next releases with less hassles.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, ghostdawg, it sounds like Ubuntu and Debian work the same way, as you can do a dist upgrade with Ubuntu as well. What may be different is the result of this upgrade, but I don't know because I haven't tried with either. So you would do a dist-upgrade with Debian? I have Lenny on my PowerBook G4 and I'm planning to sit tight with it for awhile. I was thinking that when I do upgrade, I would save my home folder, install Squeeze from scratch and then copy back home files that are ones I put there (including my virtual MacOS 9 and X disks that run on Mac-on-Linux).

Regarding Debian, as I understand it, Lenny is the same as Debian testing at the time of release. Now they're renamed testing to Squeeze, but had I installed Squeeze when Lenny was released, I would have installed the same thing. And Squeeze only changes as packages from upstream shown to be stable with minimal testing replace existing packages. So even if I were to install Squeeze right now, it wouldn't be very different from Lenny, correct?
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct, so now would be idea time to upgrade to squeeze while its still fairly new.

This is how I did it a couple of weeks after released.

First, I used a bootable System Rescue and Partimage CD to make a backup of my entire installed, partimage is included with it, so that if anything went wrong during the upgrade, I could quickly restore my computer back to being a fully-functioning Lenny system.

Next, I edited /etc/apt/sources.list to update my software repositories. I changed the word “lenny” on each line to the word “testing” and I commented-out the “security.debian.org” repository, since I read that it won’t be receiving any security updates for at least the next few weeks.
I could have changed each “lenny” to “squeeze” intead of “testing” since “squeeze” and “testing” are one-and-the-same right now, but I decided to use “testing” so that I will have a “rolling upgrade” system from now on.

After editing my sources.list file, I opened a terminal window, then typed the following 3 commands: As root of course.

aptitude update
aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
aptitude full-upgrade

The second command upgraded Debian’s “apt, dpkg and aptitude” commands themselves, so that my computer would have the latest & smartest versions of each of those, to reduce the chances that my upgrade would end up with any unresolved software dependencies.

That's about it, if it makes one feel comfortable, you can reboot to make sure everything is in place and/or if any problems exists.
new_dh0dges

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played around with my 8.04 install some more, finally got the b43 drivers into /lib/firmware, but still no networking. On both eth0 and wlan0, the router offers an IP but then NAK's it when its requested by the dhcp client. It just loops the request-response-accept-NAK, alternating from eth0 to wlan0. My LIMITED Linux understanding says the devices are enabled but the dhcp dialog is flawed. The MAC address for the eth0 and wlan0 appears to be the same as the ones in OS X (which is working). I'm about ready to defer any more effort on this til 9.04.
G3 iBook 600mhz 640MB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you try one more thing before deferring. Post your problem on the Ubuntu forums. I'm not experienced enough to diagnose networking problems, but I've managed to get both wired and wireless working on my G4 PowerBook with Ubuntu 8.04, Debian Lenny and openSUSE 11.0 with help from FAQ files and forum queries.

Do you have network manager working? Does it show your wireless router? What is NAK? How did you get the b43 drivers installed? Was it by running b43-fwcutter or did you install the drivers manually? I don't recall having to do anything other than run the fwcutter program, but there may have been the need to issue a command something like wlan0 up (or whatever is defined as the wireless connection in your installation) in a terminal. I'll look for a better instruction at home and post it if I can find it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: