123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: New Mac mini Reply with quote

Discussion about the new Mac mini should take place in this thread or the news thread for now.

Thank you!

Glenn
123Macmini.com

Last edited by admin on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the news has broken:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTE3MDI

from $600 to $800.

Not exactly cheaper, but we get dual head support, although the proprietary adapter - sold separately - will probably cost an arm and a leg, and those of us that have VGA-only screens will need to buy an adapter for them too.

Well am I excited? Not really.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to the mini being refreshed, and had planned on getting one for a media centre. I was really hoping for a price drop but that’s not what Apple do is it Sad £499 now for the entry level has really put me off.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Jowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple have lost custom from me today.

£650 for the top end mini is crazy. I will not be upgrading my current mini.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having had a closer look, I confirm my disappointment and that i certainly will not be buying one of the new Minis.

Some readers may remember our discussions on dual heads - well, with this upgrade we've got it but at the price of being slammed twice:

1. The new price of the machine.

2. The ridiculous price of the adapter to enable dual heads. More (nearly twice) as expensive than the external gizmos I listed and have been discussed to some length.

JohnnyBoy will not regret getting his external dual-head enabler after all, and i will still be waiting for my trip to the UK to get one.

These proprietary Mac miniature video ports are nothing more than an attempt to either force people into buying expensive Apple monitors, or to buy the ludicrously priced adapter.

After 20 years faithful to Apple, my next desktop machine will be a market-ready Hackintosh.
________
What are MacMini users listening to now?
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Jrb599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my hackintosh, fast as a mac pro and less than a grand.
Jrb599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my hackintosh, fast as a mac pro and less than a grand.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the double whammy on price and expensive video adapters I think Apple just scuppered what it claimed to be an entry-level Mac.

Not exactly cheaper at $600 to $800, but we get dual head support, although the proprietary adapter - sold separately - costs an arm and a leg at $100, and those of us that have VGA-only screens will need to buy an adapter for them too for another $30.

For my next desktop, if I can afford it I'll have to dig deep and go the extra mile for a MacPro and if I can't I'll get someone to bring me a market-ready Hackintosh from Berlin.
jonny.jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For UK-based buyers, this has to be one of the most disappointing product lauches ever: an incremental specification upgrade with a £108 price increase on a machine that was already looking overpriced. When I bought my Mini, it had no real competition from other PC manufacturers. Now there are a multitude of highly attractive small form factor PCs to choose from, and the Mac Mini is very expensive by comparison; that's why I'm also the very happy owner of a £200 EeeBox that perfectly meets my needs.

I haven't seen a Mac Mini in a UK high street store for 12 months or more. That's unlikely to change unless Apple revisits its pricing.
jtwrace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
and those of us that have VGA-only screens will need to buy an adapter for them too for another $30.

I just ordered the new Mini. It comes with a DVI to mini DVI adapter. I then ordered this http://firefold.com/HDMI-Male-to-DVI-D-Male-Digital-Cable-6-Foot-Black-P1432C85.aspx for $5.71 you can't beat that. This place has GREAT prices.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one with the faster processor, 120 GB disk and 4GB of RAM but with the lessor 128MB video chipset.

The total price was hot at £739 but am still thankful that an update was introduced.

The existing mini will be kept rather than sold.

urdjur's posting a week ago proved not to be a fake so somewhere along the line, Apple's security has been broken.
fhall1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the video RAM is based on the total RAM in the machine - at least that's how I read the note on Apple's page...with 2GB of RAM the minimum video memory is 256M....so with 4GB RAM, you should be all set.

Hopefully they will actually take a max of 6GB RAM like the last-gen (current until today) iMacs

The thing I think is pitiful is they're still using 5400 RPM drives....I didn't really want to tear into a new Mini and would have paid the premium for the 4G RAM and 320G drive, but it looks like buying the base model and throwing in more RAM and a 7200 RPM HD is what I'll be doing (after they ship with Snow Leopard).
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I didn't wait a year for this update...

Someone hurry up and get one, then disassemble so we can see if we can simply order a simple part to get wireless n on our older C2D's...

I was kinda waiting to do a HD upgrade to see if they changed the shape of the mini, or did something crazy to it that I would just have to have. Now I'll push that HD upgrade up on my list of things to do.

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
reebzor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting forever!
White 16gb iPhone 3g, iPod mini 4gb
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
2. The ridiculous price of the adapter to enable dual heads. More (nearly twice) as expensive than the external gizmos I listed and have been discussed to some length.

I think you're confusing Dual Head adapter with the Dual Link DVI adapter.

To run two DVI monitors (of less than 30" - up to 1920x1200) on the new Mac Mini, you'll need the Mini DVI to DVI adapter that comes with the Mini, and the $29US Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. No other expense needed.

Only if you want to run a 30" (2560x1600), will you need the more expensive $100US Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: