123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

So this new Mini looks like it will be offering connections to your two monitors of either DVI-I & DVI-D or DVI-I & VGA. But not DVI-I & DVI-I. Sad

Still means I would have to buy the Apple $100 adapter AND a DVI screen. Just bought two VGA's !

So I still have no option but to go with your external box, Johnny - and save myself nearly 200 quid Very Happy

My mistake, Jazzman. You can connect VGA adapters to both of the new Minis graphics ports, and that would support your two monitors without you needing to buy a USB graphics adapter. I guess I just got preoccupied with the DVI situation... Embarassed
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
My new iMac is going on eBay. I would much rather have the another Mac mini with two matte displays. The shiny display is just a killer on my old eyes. It's a shame they don't make one with a matte display anymore. They are such nice computers otherwise.

You can still pick up the original 24" iMacs with the matte display from eBay. Worth considering... Neutral
amlett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

will be de intel q9100 a valid CPU for the new mini?

I think that p9600 will be valid with 25W TDP, but q9100 has 45W... so it could be too much heat for that case...

I hope it can fit in!!!!

what do you think?
macfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has better graphics card from nvidia. the nvidia 9400m is decent.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for the new Mini to come out for a while.

...but I'll have to hold a bit before buying it Crying or Very sad

I was dumb enough to get the Sony Vaio P, it's a great little PC that does it's job as an ultra portable though. ...guess my AppleTV replacement will have to wait.

The new Mini seems great though, not only will it be a great media center computer, but sounds like it'll even handle games, Nvidia power!!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniconvert wrote:
I already posted this before, but the 128MB vs 256MB is the *minimum* the system will use. If you add more ram to your system the minimum will go up. Regardless, it will share as much ram to the video card as needed by applications.

So both Mac minis with 4GB of RAM will perform the same, right?
jtfolden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:
If by artificial you mean, "buy more memory". It say's quite clearly at the bottom of the tech specs page that the amount of video ram is dictated by the amount of actual ram. I'm sure you would all be delighted if the 1Gb model took 256Mb away as soon as you booted up.. Rolling Eyes

NO. It does NOT "quite clearly" state that at all. It *may* mean that but they may be stating "1GB configuration" in the same way they would state that OS X requires a "Mac with FireWire" to install.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

My mistake, Jazzman. You can connect VGA adapters to both of the new Minis graphics ports, and that would support your two monitors without you needing to buy a USB graphics adapter. I guess I just got preoccupied with the DVI situation... Embarassed

Nice to know Johnny, but with the price hikes Apple have just scuppered the mac Mini as an entry level headless. Maybe they just don't want people to switch.

I don't need the extra power, memory or HD space, so I think I'll go along with the gizmo you so favourably reported. It's not much more expensive than the extra DVI-VGA adapter I would still have to buy.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted - wrong thread...
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"

Last edited by jazzman on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:
For many people who use computers for their work, two screens, or even more, are indispensable. I have one with all my coms, mail, and support chats for my clients, two for my translating and web work, and another for my web browser, iTunes, and posting on 123MM Very Happy

I use teleport rather than Synergy - it's much easiert to install and maintain, and I think it has a couple if features that Synergy hasn't caught up with yet. Yes, and it's free too.

That sounds like an amazing set-up!! I only have one more LCD hooked to my iMac, I keep it vertically to read documents and webpages.

Are you using EVGA-USB graphic adapters? ...I've been tempted to add a 3rd screen, but must save-up for the new Mac Mini now Very Happy
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
jazzman wrote:
For many people who use computers for their work, two screens, or even more, are indispensable. I have one with all my coms, mail, and support chats for my clients, two for my translating and web work, and another for my web browser, iTunes, and posting on 123MM Very Happy

I use teleport rather than Synergy - it's much easiert to install and maintain, and I think it has a couple if features that Synergy hasn't caught up with yet. Yes, and it's free too.

That sounds like an amazing set-up!! I only have one more LCD hooked to my iMac, I keep it vertically to read documents and webpages.

Are you using EVGA-USB graphic adapters? ...I've been tempted to add a 3rd screen, but must save-up for the new Mac Mini now Very Happy

Sorry about that, Nintel, my post crept into the wrong thread due to a server timeout. But as you are interested, at the moment I'm actually running five screens from 3 machines and don't have the graphic adapter yet. But following JohnnyBoy's recommendation I'll be picking one up on my next trip to the UK.
breonwei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not sure if this question has been asked or answered before.

I'm currently using Mac C2D (2007 model) connecting DVI to HDMI to my LCD TV. Which adapter should I get for new 2009 Mac Mini in order to connect to my LCD TV via HDMI? I know there is a 3rd party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI, but seems hard to get.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do check out all the HTPC threads on this board, you'll almost certainly find not one answer to your question but several - and a lot mlore tips on the way Very Happy
jobmans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Apple and asked them about the difference between the video cards in the two models. The individual I spoke with said that the higher end model actually has more memory on the video card. The difference in the amount of video memory has nothing to do with the amount of RAM installed.
bhost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jobmans wrote:
I called Apple and asked them about the difference between the video cards in the two models. The individual I spoke with said that the higher end model actually has more memory on the video card. The difference in the amount of video memory has nothing to do with the amount of RAM installed.

How does apple explain the following from there website then:

"NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 128MB or 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory"

It says on their own website that you get 128 or 256MB shared with the main memory, so it sounds like there is no actual memory on the video card? Am I wrong in this thinking???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: