123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pricing us out of whack between the two models, but it's a nice update.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
No price drop, it appears.

Some people are never satisfied. Rolling Eyes

It's faster, more efficient, has a real graphics chip and firewire 800, yet that's the best you can say?
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
cingularpat wrote:
It's probably possible that the VRAM increases with the amount of RAM installed. The 1GB model has 128MB VRAM and the 2GB model has 256MB VRAM. I would imagine there's no other differences between the two boards.

Your right there will be no difference between the two logic boards but Apple will have placed an artificial restriction on the cheaper model.

If by artificial you mean, "buy more memory". It say's quite clearly at the bottom of the tech specs page that the amount of video ram is dictated by the amount of actual ram. I'm sure you would all be delighted if the 1Gb model took 256Mb away as soon as you booted up.. Rolling Eyes
Zonker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
'Old' 2.0 Mini refurbs dropped $130 to $549.

Why buy a refurb when a brand new one under clearance is the same price? That's what I did!

Z
Mrmorrill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 24 inch imac now down to 1500 base model i think i will be selling off my mac mini gear and picking that up. 24 inch imac at that price is amazing.
Lacie 250gb 7200rpm external harddrive
Hauppauge Tv tuner.

New Addition!
Ibook G4 1.42ghz 10.4.11
jetmech1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Not in the Apple retail store yet. Reply with quote

I called my local Apple retail store and asked about the NEW MINI and was told that they MAY be in on Wed. I was going to buy it today. I guess I will just have to wait and see or just order it from Apple online.
HP a710n AMD Athlon XP 3100, 1GB,
27" iMac 3.06 C2D
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
but the really important thing ... is the superdrive pata or sata?

My money is on sata. The macbook and the macbook pro both use sata, and the mac mini is just a reshaped macbook without a screen. Oh, and firewire.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

There are two flavours of adapter for the mini-DVI socket: VGA and DVI-I. So pick the connection that matches your display, and off you go.

However, it appears that the adapters for the Mini DisplayPort are VGA and DVI-D. Great if you've got an Apple Cinema Display, but I don't think that this will link to the average 2 year old screen with a "DVI" connector on the back...
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MzE3MTA1NA

So this new Mini looks like it will be offering connections to your two monitors of either DVI-I & DVI-D or DVI-I & VGA. But not DVI-I & DVI-I. Sad

Still means I would have to buy the Apple $100 adapter AND a DVI screen. Just bought two VGA's !

So I still have no option but to go with your external box, Johnny - and save myself nearly 200 quid Very Happy
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
magbarn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for someone to rip it apart to see if the cpu is socketed. I'd love to drop a X9000 in there or more reasonably a P9600 or T9800. I wish it came with an Esata port though. Even with FW800, the latest hard drives would be interface limited in performance. My current mini has a sata wire running out to a WD 1TB black drive, so much faster than even the latest 500gb 7200rpm seagate. Unless you money were no object then you could drop in a X25 instead.
snolan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ITS REALLY HERE.. apple store Reply with quote

sammiefish wrote:
where did you get the specs on video memory
it is nvidia but cant find specs on that or
fw 800

its really there right now at apple store

The Apple Store itself lists the differences between the two models of Mini:

128MB vs 256MB video ram
1GB vs 2GB memory
120GB drive vs 320GB drive

Anyone have a way of evaluating value of the extra 128MB of video ram?

a second 1 GB stick of DDR3 ram and jump from 120 to 320GB 5400 rpm drive does not justify the $200 price jump alone..

I am thrilled the new model has Firewire 800, two video outputs, digital audio out, and room for 4GB of memory!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new iMac is going on eBay. I would much rather have the another Mac mini with two matte displays. The shiny display is just a killer on my old eyes. It's a shame they don't make one with a matte display anymore. They are such nice computers otherwise.
snolan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ITS REALLY HERE.. apple store Reply with quote

sammiefish wrote:
where did you get the specs on video memory
it is nvidia but cant find specs on that or
fw 800

its really there right now at apple store

The Apple Store itself lists the differences between the two models of Mini:

128MB vs 256MB video ram
1GB vs 2GB memory
120GB drive vs 320GB drive

Anyone have a way of evaluating value of the extra 128MB of video ram?

a second 1 GB stick of DDR3 ram (~$30) and jump from 120 to 320GB 5400 rpm drive (~$70) does not justify the $200 price jump alone..

I am thrilled the new model has Firewire 800, two video outputs, digital audio out, and room for 4GB of memory!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, the remote is now an add-on cost.

Question - What are the main reasons for wanting 2 monitors? I can see in some specialized uses but is it so mainstream that Apple offers easy access to 2 monitors?

sorry I'm clueless, I only use my Mini hooked to my HDTV in the living room.
fhall1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read the Apple Store note, if you stick 2GB RAM in the base model, it'll use a minimum of 256M video RAM....it's shared RAM based on the total RAM installed.

Hopefully they will actually take a max of 6GB RAM like the last-gen (current until today) iMacs

The thing I think is pitiful is they're still using 5400 RPM drives....I didn't really want to tear into a new Mini and would have paid the premium for the 4G RAM and 320G drive, but it looks like buying the base model and throwing in more RAM and a 7200 RPM HD is what I'll be doing (after they ship with Snow Leopard).

Last edited by fhall1 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
snolan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Dual Displays Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
Question - What are the main reasons for wanting 2 monitors? I can see in some specialized uses but is it so mainstream that Apple offers easy access to 2 monitors?

Having extra screen "real estate" is very nice for people doing lots of work on their computers. One screen to make changes, another to view them. One screen to house the editing tools, the other for the image/video you are editing.

Two screens with all your monitoring software on a large network of servers.

One screen to watch a show while surfing the web on the other.

I currently have two older machines each with their own screen and I use Synergy to share keyboard and mouse between them, but a single new Mini with two displays is a vastly lower-power solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: