123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros 17-inch MacBook Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros 17-inch MacBook Pro Reply with quote

Apple Intros 17-inch MacBook Pro
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today unveiled the new 17-inch MacBook Pro featuring a durable aluminum unibody enclosure, and a revolutionary new built-in battery that delivers up to eight hours of use and up to 1,000 recharges for more than three times the lifespan of conventional notebook batteries. The new 17-inch MacBook Pro has a high resolution LED-backlit display and the same large glass Multi-Touch trackpad introduced with the new MacBook family in October. In addition, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro includes state of the art NVIDIA graphics and the latest generation Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processors. As part of the industry's greenest notebook family, the new 17-inch MacBook Pro is made of highly recyclable materials, meets stringent energy efficiency standards and is made without many of the harmful toxins found in other computers. Pricing for the 17-inch MacBook Pro begins at $2799.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1112.html
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first glance I said "no way" you can't even replace the battery.... then I thought about it.... who cares! I've had my Macbook for nearly a year and only took the battery out because I had to, to put RAM and my HD in!

I think this is yet another winner.... I might even splurge and go get one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to know the best news? It looks like Apple might be coming back around to the matte screen. Smile
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it matters, but why would they build in the battery on the MacBook Pro? ...I can understand on the MacBook Air cause it's small and thin.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Not that it matters, but why would they build in the battery on the MacBook Pro? ...I can understand on the MacBook Air cause it's small and thin.

Your guess is as good as mine. That being said, I never see a bunch people carrying around 17" Macbook Pros. I wouldn't doubt that most people have them connected to the power supply and sitting on a desk. They are like a pizza trays. Plus, who can afford one in this recession?

I don't like the idea of non-removable batteries though. It's still one of my biggest gripes about the iPhone.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Do you want to know the best news? It looks like Apple might be coming back around to the matte screen. Smile

believe it or not I prefer the glossy.... I'm obviously the exception and not the rule, on this forum anyway....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I hope they offer a matte screen option for the 15" model down the road. Otherwise, I won't be dipping back in for another MacBook Pro. The 17" model is just too big and bulky. I wouldn't be crazy about spending close to three thousand dollars either. My first car didn't cost that much.
Krametash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine. That being said, I never see a bunch people carrying around 17" Macbook Pros. I wouldn't doubt that most people have them connected to the power supply and sitting on a desk. They are like a pizza trays. Plus, who can afford one in this recession?

I don't like the idea of non-removable batteries though. It's still one of my biggest gripes about the iPhone.

I watched the video about the new 17" MBP. They said that a removeable battery requires a lot of mechanisms etc, that take up a lot of space. Removing these mechanisms allows for more space for the battery. They said more space=longer battery life.

Has anyone noticed this thing goes up to 2.93 GHz, and takes 8GB of RAM!!?!?!?!?

Pretty crazy, and most impressive, I'd say

Kramer
20" Samsung Widescreen display
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so disappointed that Apple didn't come out with a new Mac mini today, but this is truly an awesome machine. I can't afford one, but it's awesome. It's also nice to see an anti-glare or matte option back on a MacBook Pro. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring that down to the regular 13" MacBook.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Macbook would be really cool, if the battery could be removed! I hate it when Apple does that, just like with the iPhone. And after 5 years or so, you have to send you MBP 17" in to have the battery replaced? Probably would cost you such an amount of money that it would be cheaper to buy a new model, thus degrading the value of your 2nd hand Macbook to almost nothing (parts!) I see all kind of shops appearing to have your battery replaced, but probably not with an original Apple battery! No, this is a very bad move! Evil or Very Mad
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
The new Macbook would be really cool, if the battery could be removed! I hate it when Apple does that, just like with the iPhone. And after 5 years or so, you have to send you MBP 17" in to have the battery replaced? Probably would cost you such an amount of money that it would be cheaper to buy a new model, thus degrading the value of your 2nd hand Macbook to almost nothing (parts!) I see all kind of shops appearing to have your battery replaced, but probably not with an original Apple battery! No, this is a very bad move! Evil or Very Mad

By than your warranty will likely not exist anymore. I would just buy the battery and install it myself. ...does it really matter if the battery isn't an Apple one, it's not like they make their own batteries?

Not that I would buy such a big laptop to start with Wink
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:

By than your warranty will likely not exist anymore. I would just buy the battery and install it myself. ...does it really matter if the battery isn't an Apple one, it's not like they make their own batteries?

Not that I would buy such a big laptop to start with Wink

I'd check out the keynote, so you know how they made that battery. It is quite state of art, but maybe in 5 years al over made by the Chinese. I wonder if Apple let you buy the battery separate anyway.
smoothsensation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
At first glance I said "no way" you can't even replace the battery.... then I thought about it.... who cares! I've had my Macbook for nearly a year and only took the battery out because I had to, to put RAM and my HD in!

I think this is yet another winner.... I might even splurge and go get one!

It is kind of a big deal to have the battery built in... If it goes out what
happens to your 4 thousand dollar laptop? Also to have a battery in a laptop to last nearly a year isnt any kind of achievement...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: