123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benchmarks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microfox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Benchmarks Reply with quote

Hi

Although I have been around computers for almost 20 years, hardware as such has never been my main interest. I never needed the latest high priced processor nor have my gaming needs required a $600 video card.

Now, a few weeks ago I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook. It comes with an Atom N270, 1.60GHz processor and 1Gb of RAM. According to this site, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php the benchmarks for this processor are rather bad.

However, after buying the machine strictly for light computing tasks, I decided to test the little beast, somewhat. I, first, plugged in my USB TV Tuner stick and I was surprised to see that my recordings were just as good as on my Mac mini. I, then proceeded to install an mpg editing software and was amazed to notice that it does the same job as my mini, in a comparable amount of time, even if the benchmarks for both machines are way different.

It's also much faster than my wife's Toshiba Intel M 1.73 GHz with 1.5Gb of RAM, which is also supposed to have better benchmarks.

Has Acer made a mistake and installed a Core2Duo in this machine without telling anyone or, is there an expert somewhere who can explain such a performance from my new "monster".

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: