123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does your hard drive ever spin down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drovotto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Does your hard drive ever spin down? Reply with quote

I've noticed something over the last two weeks. The hard drive in my new Apple TV never spins down. In fact, it seems to run 24/7 in standby mode. I can hear and feel it running. Is this normal?
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is normal, unfortunately Confused Going into standby the only thing that is different is the little LED is off and it cuts the video signal to black.
Drovotto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if it was the fan or the hard drive at first. I thought it might be the fan running to help control all the heat this thing produces. It's a shame to put wear and tear on the hard drive like that when it's not being used. Especially considering how well the spin down feature works through Energy Saver in OS X. I wonder if the hard drive ever spins down in the Time Capsule? I think that would change my mind about buying one.
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that Apple will one day update the AppleTV software to allow a true sleep mode. I really don't see why it wasn't there from the start.

As far as the Time Capsule, not sure, I don't have one. But you would probably be better off getting the Airport Extreme, or something with a usb port for pugging in an external hard drive. $500 for 1 TB and $300 for 500GB is steep for todays storage pricing. $180 for the extreme plus a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk for $110, or 1.5TB for $150, gives you 1 TB networked hard drive for $290 or 1.5 TB for $330.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I would recommend buying AppleCare for your Apple TV. This takes your warranty out another year for $49 bucks. In fact, two years is about the time it took for my first Apple TV to fail. And I honestly believe that the lack of a true sleep mode and excessive heat cause the failure. That being said, it wasn't the hard drive that actually failed. It was the internal power supply.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: