123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netflix and Hulu Streams in Frontrow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: rss feed for Subscription Reply with quote

I have gotten this to work with my queue in Hulu using the preference tool that was talked about earlier but I have had no luck with my subscriptions feed. That is the money shot if you ask me. If I can get that to work I would not have to log into Hulu that often. My mac would get populated with things to watch as they get updated in Hulu.

Thanks for you help...

Waiting and hoping.
ardielola

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: understudy on external display Reply with quote

Having trouble getting Understudy to play on an external display. When using Front Row on my plasma tv, if I select Understudy and try to play content, it reverts back to the iMac display. Interestingly, if I activate front row again using the apple remote, I get back into the Front Row interface on the external display AND maintain the use of the iMac screen (i.e. it doesn't go blank).

This may have something to do with another plug-in that I have installed to automatically route Front Row to the external display (TV Row 2.0).

I guess the question is: Has anyone tried/succeeded in running Understudy on an external display?
DavidBaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Weird, I tried individual show links again and it worked Reply with quote

I tried individual show links again last night and it worked like a charm. I now have a menu item with a listing of all the shows that we watch on Hulu. Very cool. As I think someone mentioned in this forum, I switched "feed" to "http" in Safari before I cut and pasted to get this to work.

Now I want an icon in Frontrow, I know someone talked about it earlier, but does someone have more specific instructions?
mac37205

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Front Row Icon Image and Placement Reply with quote

... A follow up to my earlier post.

IMAGE ICON
To make an icon, first make a black 512 x 512 pixel backgound (I use ImageWell). Add an image or two and save as png. Open image in Preview, go to tools, and select "assign profile". Change RGB to sRGB and save the image as "ApplianceIcon.png". Navigate to the FrontRow package at System/Library/CoreServices/FrontRow, right click to "show package contents". Within the FrontRow package, place "ApplianceIcon.png" icon in the Resources folder at Contents/Plugins/frUnderstudy.frappliances/Contents/Resources.

Notes:
1) If image is a size other than 512 x 512 pixels or RGB profile is used, Frontrow will not load and image errors will appear in the logs.
2) A smaller 100 x 100 pixel "blurred image" is not necessary as a blurred image will be automatically rendered from the 512 x 512 image.

ICON POSITION
I seem to recall that Understudy shows up in the third position (actually an OrderValue of 2 since DVD and Movies are at the -1 and 0 positions, respecitvely) because that position is currently unused and there are no position tags in the property list. Therefore, I moved EyeTV (PyeTV plugin) to the third position (OrderValue 2) and Understudy to the bottom.

To move Understudy to the bottom of the Front Row menu, use TextEdit or your favorite editor and add these two lines to the info.plist file (within front row package at Contents/Plugins/frUnderstudy.frappliances/Contents/info.plist); between the dict tags:

<key>FRAppliancePreferedOrderValue</key>
<real>8</real>
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your custom icon guys. I have absolutely no skills that way.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front Row Icon Image and Placement Reply with quote

mac37205 wrote:
To make an icon, first make a black 512 x 512 pixel backgound (I use ImageWell).

You really should go transparent. That prevents it from overlapping the other icons.

Ben_tex wrote:
Post your custom icon guys. I have absolutely no skills that way.

Mine basically signifies Hulu, but you might like it. Send me a PM.

Last edited by curt on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mac37205

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front Row Icon Image and Placement Reply with quote

curt wrote:
You really should go transparent. That prevents it from overlapping the other icons.

Yes, that is probably a good idea for icons in the middle of the menu and transparency is also consistent with the other icons. I planned on putting my Understudy icon at the bottom of the menu, and it worked fine. I stacked the official Hulu and Netflix images within the 512 x 512 background.

I don't want to wander off topic, but what are the rules about sharing icons with copyrighted images? Also, would it be appropriate to communicate with the developer (Kirk) to agree on a "universal" Understudy icon?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Row Icon Image and Placement Reply with quote

mac37205 wrote:
Yes, that is probably a good idea for icons in the middle of the menu and transparency is also consistent with the other icons. I planned on putting my Understudy icon at the bottom of the menu, and it worked fine. I stacked the official Hulu and Netflix images within the 512 x 512 background.

That works. I just noticed it blocking the other icons.

mac37205 wrote:
I don't want to wander off topic, but what are the rules about sharing icons with copyrighted images?

I don't know, but I removed the ImageShack link. I didn't even think about that being an issue. Embarassed

mac37205 wrote:
Also, would it be appropriate to communicate with the developer (Kirk) to agree on a "universal" Understudy icon?

I guess you could try emailing him or something. I made a couple generic ones (without the Hulu or Netflix logos), but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in them.
mac37205

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt,

I didn't want to give the impression that you did anything wrong - I honestly don't understand these legal issues. I just want to make sure that this is done correctly.

It appears that Hulu and Netflix are OK with using official logos because both sites have download links. The Netflix site shows some examples of proper and improper images; for example, on shirts.

Following your hint, I made a simple icon from stacking two downloaded images (Hulu = 355 x 170 pixels and Netflix = 355 x 165 pixels) on a transparent background and then adding a drop shadow to each. Your icon is clearly more artistic!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at their sites. Until then, here's one of my generic ones. A simple U (for Understudy) in Hulu green shouldn't ruffle any feathers.

http://img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=understudyvt5.png
mac37205

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Understudy Icon Reply with quote

curt wrote:
A simple U (for Understudy) in Hulu green

Beautiful! The artistic quality fits nicely with most of the Apple icons (if only something could replace that lame photo icon).

What software did you use to make the icon?
macfromtehdead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pref Setter is brilliant! took me a minute to figure out what was wrong, but I got it fixed -- both my hulu queue and my subscriptions are available from front row. Thanks!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That icon works for me too. Thanks Curt!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Understudy Icon Reply with quote

mac37205 wrote:
Beautiful! The artistic quality fits nicely with most of the Apple icons (if only something could replace that lame photo icon).

What software did you use to make the icon?

I grabbed a bunch of those oval backgrounds a while back. The rest was done in Photoshop.

You could use the 512 x 512 iPhoto icon. It looks much better than the default icon in Front Row. Then shrink the icon down and blur it for the 100 x 100. I'm not sure you can do that with ImageWell though. If you want one, I'll post it later. I need to get back to work for now. Sad

Ben_Tex wrote:
That icon works for me too. Thanks Curt!

No problem. I just realized something else. It could also be considered kosher. Smile

http://www.yrm.org/koshersymbols.htm
ardielola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: hulu still working? Reply with quote

anyone know if hulu is still working on understudy? recently read about hulu being pulled from boxee today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: