123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PyStar Wins a battle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: PyStar Wins a battle Reply with quote

Guess who just won a legal battle...?

It's not the end of the court wars....

But an interesting point of law has been raised all the same...

http://tinyurl.com/bww3mg

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessig somebody who has been making Apple clones. But i'll tell you when I have checked out your link.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Cool

Re this comment on the article:
Quote:
No collapse at all
Submitted by Rob on February 9, 2009 - 12:01.
For each copy put on a clone, Apple has sold a copy of OS X.
This is Right of First Sale vs. EULA

I've added this comment to the blog:
"This might be true, but it's one less potential sale of Mac hardware.
If Psystar ultimately wins, it will force Apple to finally reduce their prices to competitive levels if they want to stay in the hardware business."

Thing is, here in Asia, Macs are very popular in newspaper offices, sound and TV studios, and the rest of the media, but are too expesve for the masses who can barely even afford a PC.

The Thais are educated from birth to everything the easiest and cheapest way possible. With Mac being by far the easiest GUI to use, there wioll be a stampede by every back street hardware compiler to get Hackintoshes into the shops. The dedicated Apple retailers will suffer enormously, or have to sell the clones under the counter.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"

Last edited by jazzman on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I want Apple to offer more choice and lower prices on hardware I hope Apple win the case as this could really affect Apples business.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pystar is successful in challenging some of Apple's interpretations of Copyright law, then we might be in for an interesting battle.

Also of interest is the list of 10 "John Doe's" that Apple is claiming are the persons/companies? behind Pystars push..

Apple is being very quiet on this front, as they should...because the last thing you'd want to do is falsely accuse someone...or some company..

Like My Crow Soft...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very slow and intermittent Internet connection - see my edited post above.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:

The Thais are educated from birth to everything the easiest and cheapest way possible. With Mac being by far the easiest GUI to use, there wioll be a stampede by every back street hardware compiler to get Hackintoshes into the shops. The dedicated Apple retailers will suffer enormously, or have to sell the clones under the counter.

You mean like this.... Question

This was posted on another Mac Forum back in 2005.

The image was taken in Bangkok.

http://tinyurl.com/auku4m

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of Very Happy
However, the pirate retail copies of MacOS are generally of excellent quality, and have been burned by the Apple retailers themselves from the original installation discs from the machines they have in stock. They will only sell them to you if you purchased you Mac from them.
The picture is of a back-street market rip. The discs are burned to order from a big professional multi-disc burner in a van behind the market stall.

All my Mac software is original, bought and paid for; either came with my machines, or was thrown in free with the purchase of a new machine.

Hardware:
Every jungle village has a shack where PCs are built to order. macs will be next.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman wrote:

All my Mac software is original, bought and paid for; either came with my machines, or was thrown in free with the purchase of a new machine.

It's alright Jazzman, your amongst friends...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aqua

Which would you choose?

jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as most of my income comes from royalties on my own stuff, I have to play ball Very Happy

I've even been known to send a couple of bucks to donation ware that I found good - but only when I've been in a generous mood and had a couple of bob to spare Wink

After all, we started as a freeware company.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a partial Psystar victory; one that forces Apple to look more seriously at meeting the competition and providing what its customers want, but not one that totally opens up the floodgates to Hackintosh clones.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, If "Joe the Plumber" could just go down to the Mall and pick up a Mac-clone, I wouldn't be nearly as cool for building a Hackintosh, would I?

Go Apple!

Besides, Psystar is just profiting off the generous work of the OSX86 community, as far as I know.

However, part of me just can't help but root for Psystar.

Go Psystar!

Either way, it is entertaining!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I'm hoping for a partial Psystar victory; one that forces Apple to look more seriously at meeting the competition and providing what its customers want, but not one that totally opens up the floodgates to Hackintosh clones.
"If Psystar ultimately wins, it will force Apple to finally reduce their prices to competitive levels if they want to stay in the hardware business."
That certainly reiterates my statement above. I've been buying Macs for 20 years for the OS, not specifically for the hardware. If clones arrive on the market with legally installed Apple software, and if Apple insists on remaining an icon of IT 'respectability' by maintaining its current pricing policy, I know what kind of case my next MacOS will be in.

The next thing will be BootCamp for Windoze.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this just proves how hungry people are for other hardware offerings than what Apple provides. Sure, its also about price and not paying the Apple 'premium', but I also think its more about variety. How many of 'us' would be inclined to build a hackintosh if Apple's hardware lineup was more vast? Some would, this is true. Those are the ones who enjoy doing it and probably do it not only on the Apple side, but also with Windows and Linux and anything else they can. Then there are the others which, I think, are the majority of hackintosh builders who do it out of the want or need for something Apple doesn't provide, but still want the simplicity of running OSX. That said, I think if Apple were to expand both their desktop and notebook lineups and offer more from the bottom of the line to the top of the line (and sure dropping prices a bit wouldn't hurt) a lot of this hacking would cease.

Either way, I like seeing variety in the market, but at the same time, being an Apple fanboy, I hope Apple comes out on top of this one.

As far as the other John Does go, I do recall in the past few months seeing a German company and an Asian (don't know what country) company selling hackintoshes in their respective countries. But as I could only find websites in their native languages and didn't bother translating them, I can't provide more information as to what exactly they're doing or where. I'll see if I can find them again.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
I think this just proves how hungry people are for other hardware offerings than what Apple provides. Sure, its also about price and not paying the Apple 'premium',...
Either way, I like seeing variety in the market, but at the same time, being an Apple fanboy, I hope Apple comes out on top of this one.

My sentiment entirely Cal.
There clearly exists a mearket for alternative setups for the MacOS, otherwise ffirms would wouldnot be risking such an expensive legal process to enter it.

As former Apple employee blogs demonstrate, Apple is clearly not a market oriented company. Their strengths are in innovation and development, and market related issues are discouraged at internal product planning meetiings.The iPod and iPhone sucess was due only to Apple being in the right place at the right time with the right product. It was this that saved their entire Macintosh computer division, and nothing else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: