123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handmade Mac Mini Dock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Handmade Mac Mini Dock Reply with quote

Handmade Mac Mini Dock
Thursday February 24, 2005

Lazzwaldo a Mac mini enthusiast has built a prototype Mac mini dock.The dock is made of milled aluminum stock, modeling clay and Velcro. Yes you heard it Velcro “You can thank NASA later!”.

Lazzwaldo - "I'm too impatient to wait for someone else to come up with this, so here's a quick'n'dirty (working) prototype of a Mac Mini Dock so I can use it in my truck or Jeep as a CarPuter”

We applaud Lazzwaldo for his effort!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/18.html
lazzwaldo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Er, that's Epoxy Putty, not modeling clay! Reply with quote

The material formed around the connectors is ProPoxy, a steel-filled epoxy putty that is highly adhesive, strong, and rigid. It withstands pressures up to 18,000 PSI and temps to 200°C. It can be drilled and tapped, it sets in 20 minutes, and has a shrinkage factor of less than 1%.

Modelling clay is fun to make small figurines from, push through the Fun Factory, tastes really salty, but isn't real suitable for potting and fixturing processes Wink

The Mac Mini Dock has been updated!:

http://homepage.mac.com/lazzwaldo/PhotoAlbum2.html
idave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazzwaldo

Good job! Are you planning on making these to sell?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
lazzwaldo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="idave"]lazzwaldo

Good job! Are you planning on making these to sell?[/quote]

Thanks. Indeed I am! The power supply issue is problematic; people can send me their existing power supply, which would be incorporated in, or they can have me order one up (adds to the cost+shipping). It is possible, but not easy, to get these from Apple. This issue exists because the power connector is proprietary and Apple is the only known supplier to date. Apple Developer Connection has not yet responded to a request to obtain them
packerfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Good idea... Reply with quote

Have you applied for a patent? I think you general idea is cool but you need to do some work on how it looks if Mac people are going to buy it. I wish you success!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: