123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File is not supported - ERROR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdowell_k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: File is not supported - ERROR Reply with quote

I tried searching for an answer but no luck...

Occasionally, when attempting to play back a movie on any one of my three ATV's I get the response, "cannot be played because the file type is not supported." So I go back to my Mac Mini and right click on the file to make sure it is in ATV format... it is. I can also play it back in Itunes. Ive even tried right clicking to "create apple tv version" but the message I receive is "cannot convert because the file is already in ATV format."

Seems like this only happens when I stream (vs sync). Because when this happened last night, I synced the movie that was giving me a hard time and then it played back beautifully.

Any insight?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum resolution for H.264 is 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps or 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps. It's 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps for MPEG-4. You must be over that or the maximum file size. I would try encoding them again in QT or HandBrake.
gibmini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently been experiencing this same problem. I suspect that my experience of this problem might be unrelated to file size as I am usually able to get the very same files working again. What I have found is that normally when I see this problem the file has been viewed on my mini and paused. Then when I go to the atv I get the error.

So, I got back into itunes on my mini and play a different film. Then the file I have had problems with works fine...phew...long messy workflow that seems to work but offers little insight into the route cause. Could it be that certain files produced on handbrake don't like being played on both. I don't know.

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there's a 4GB size limit for streaming or syncing. Unless they are ripped as a 64-bit MP4 in HandBrake. Maybe that's the trouble you guys are having. I've never had mine drop out like that after a pause gibmini. That's really strange. I always get the option to resume or start from the beginning. What settings do you use in HandBrake?
iLife's a Bitch!
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My files are all less than 1.5Gb and normally are between 1.2 to 1.4.

I handbrake I'm using the atv template and then dropping the frame rate from 2,500 to 2,300 and choosing 2 pass with turbo first pass. I use these settings whether I am ripping a dvd or converting an avi/mp3/dvix etc to mp4.

Cheers,

gm

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibmini wrote:
So, I got back into itunes on my mini and play a different film. Then the file I have had problems with works fine...phew...long messy workflow that seems to work but offers little insight into the route cause. Could it be that certain files produced on handbrake don't like being played on both. I don't know.

It might be time to trash your apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.ituneshelper.plist files on the Mac mini. That might clear up the overall conflict with streaming. It shouldn't be related to how they were ripped with HandBrake, especially since you're dropping the rate down a tad.
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, happy new year!

Secondly, can you please explain more about your suggestion to 'bin' those two files? I'm not sure what they do and if I delete them, what I do I replace them with?

Many thanks for your help!

GM

iPhone 4S
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a Happy New Year to you too!

Those files are in your User/Library/Preferences/ folder. Just drag them to the trash and dump them. They will automatically be replaced with fresh files once you open iTunes again. This will give you a fresh start within the application. I'm thinking something is corrupt and losing its place with playback. A simple reset of your Apple TV by yanking the plug would probably be a good idea too.
gibmini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timely couple of odd things happened yesterday:

I purchased a film from itunes on the atv which downloaded and then copied itself over to my mini. Later, when I came to watch the movie on the atv it said 'no content available!' did not play. However, it played played fine on the mini. Any ideas what caused it?

I had the format problem we were discussing above on a film purchased from itunes - which is not something I've had before so the problem seems to be getting worse. I will try your idea of deleting and refreshing those files this morning.

GM

iPhone 4S
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: