123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an old imac....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: an old imac.... Reply with quote

hey all,

i'm about ready to buy a used imac (one of the old, tangerine colored all-in-one guys), that has a 400mhz G3 processor that's been upgraded to 1 gig of ram and a hundred+ gig hard drive. it has panther installed and was previously owned by a graphics designer (that's why they pimped it out with a big harddrive and more ram)..... is 125 bucks a good price? or is that kind of high for a dated G3 machine? other than the 400mhz G3.... i feel like it's a good deal with the upgrades that were made. any thoughts from any of you? am i getting a good deal?
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have seen this computer operating, or you really trust the seller, it sounds like a very good deal to me.

How much is a gig of RAM worth?

How much does a copy of Panther cost.

I'm sure you realize this is not going to be a speed demon, but for some types of use it will prolly be adequate.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's coming from a relatively trusted friend who no longer needs the imac because she recently got a dual G5 powermac for her graphic-design needs. i have every reason to believe she wouldn't sell me a DOA computer. and since i'll be using it as a secondary computer for word processing and internet surfing (and maybe as a digital jukebox).... i guess it's starting to sound more and more like a steal for me. i've seen used old-school imacs with much less computing power going for 80-120 bucks on ebay.... so i guess that eases my worries a bit. thanks for the reply.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go on and on about how this is a good old system and how you will be amazed by what you will be able to with it dispite its lack of speed. But all I will say is that if you don't want it give me the number and I will buy it for $125!!! Razz
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$125 seems fair for an iMac with 1GB RAM and that size HD.
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry MacGoo.... i've already pulled the trigger on the buy. but next time i find another good deal i'll let you know Smile i just wish i could find me one of those cute little clamshell apple books that were out a few years back. i'm sure they aren't exactly cut out for intensive scientific calculations.... but they're "cute". something i can't say about any of my previous windows books.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. and tangerine. a perfect match. but i think what i might end up doing is after getting the old imac and messing around with it a while to decide exactly i want (or don't want) to do with it... i might trick it out a little more (even though it's pretty much been maxed out in terms of being an old-school imac, and then see if anyone i know wants to trade me their old clamshell for my tricked-out imac. i guess i'll just have to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: