123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CS2 installation and running, admin or not...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocJoc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: CS2 installation and running, admin or not...? Reply with quote

Hi there,

started reading the 123Macmini forums about 2 months ago, found the contributions very helpful, and now got my first question coming Smile

Having switched from Windoze to Mac just recently (got my Mini since 4 weeks and I love it with 10.4.2) Very Happy I also got Adobe Creative Suite 2. I am now wondering about installation and running of the software - I have seen a number of posts on CS2 but not exactly what I am interested in, maybe someone here may help me out Smile

a) the installation information just mentions that at one point I would need an admin name and password which sounds to me as if I can install from a non-privileged account and at one point in the installation I would be asked to provide admin credentials

b) Adobe tells me on their hotline that I can only install CS2 from an admin account, but later on use it from both non-privileged and admin accounts

Having read a bit about problems with incomplete or failing installation processes with CS2 and the hassle of fixing this, I want to get it straight from the start - and would want to have one thing: I used to admin Unix boxes for several years (but, boy, this is long ago) and I installed *application* software only under non-privileged users and groups. I do not necessarily see why an application needs root privileges or should keep writable files in root directories... and actually, what I read around Mac OS X: I may install software from non-privileged user accounts (which then obviously is also only available for those users and not via the general application directory if I had installed it from an admin account and applied standard directory locations).

So - what is the situation here?
- Install: from an admin account only, or also from a non-privileged account (preferred from my point of view)?
- Running: from a non-privileged account without any hassle?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks a lot
DocJoc
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install it as the admin or a user with admin privileges. Do you know how to allow users to administer the computer?
DocJoc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
sorry for the long time without an answer - yes, I know how to allow users to administer the computer (actually very easy).
Ok, so I am *installing* as admin - but to later on *use* it, do I also need admin rights? I found a bunch of programs already which only work properly if they are run from admin accounts (even though for most of them I just don't see the necessity but rather security concerns).
Thanks
DocJoc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: