123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumors...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Rumors... Reply with quote

Quote:
ru•mor |ˈroōmər| ( Brit. ru•mour)

noun
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth : they were investigating rumors of a massacre | rumor has it that he will take a year off.

verb ( be rumored)
be circulated as an unverified account : [with clause ] it's rumored that he lives on a houseboat | [with infinitive ] she is rumored to have gone into hiding.

ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French rumur, from Latin rumor 'noise.'

This article is roughly four years old, yet is still amazingly accurate in terms of the Apple product cycle and rumor mill. Read it, and live it.
http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

No new mini? Oh well. If you were going to buy one but were waiting to see if something came out - you are a smart consumer. Go a head and buy one NOW! You will love it!

If you thought what you read on the interwebs somewhere, about a new super mini, was actual information somehow leaked to the masses - guess again. Rumors are fantasies of some geek in a basement, and are in no way substantiated by Apple.

If this seems to be a bit harsh, well in twentyfive years of Mac'ing I've grown tired of seeing the exact same thing happen when every WWDC, MacWorld, (big event) that comes up. Don't feed the rumor trolls, and just wait for the event to come and go.

It's much easier that way.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumours are to Facts, what Farts are to Earthquakes..

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's a good one!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rumors... Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
... in twentyfive years of Mac'ing I've grown tired of seeing the exact same thing happen when every WWDC, MacWorld, ...
Snap Very Happy
BTW: that was a brilliant link your posted - I laughed out loud. Here's the link again everybody:http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

Breaking news:
In a last-ditch attempt to to get rich while he was still allowed to, the 44th president of the United States, Barack H. Obama, invested in a large block of shares in Apple, the USA's last well performing corporation, a reliable source stated yesterday. Demonstrating his enthusiasm for Macintosh computers, President Obama hopes that by installing MacMinis in all the administrative areas of his new residence , not only will the small footprint and low energy consumption be contributions to the environment, but the built-in firewall of MacOS may prevent incursions from the CIA. His next press conference is expected to include news of his move to prohibit Apple from discontinuing the MacMini.(1)

(1) I take full responsibiliity for the above rumours.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another article about deciphering Apple rumors from Slashdot

SC

Make sure it has pins!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any author of an Apple rumour gets it right, it's just pure coincidence.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumors... Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
This article is roughly four years old, yet is still amazingly accurate in terms of the Apple product cycle and rumor mill. Read it, and live it.
http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

That should be a footnote posted with every Apple rumor. To be honest though, I don't pay much attention to the rumors or sites anymore. Maybe it's just my age or something.

jazzman wrote:
If any author of an Apple rumour gets it right, it's just pure coincidence.

It could prove they are psychic though. Smile
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I used to believe those sites, there was one. I think it was macosrumors or something like that. Anyway, every time MacWorld or WWDC would come up, they would post some total bs that the G4s would jump from 500Mhz to 1.33Ghz or some crap like that, or they would post total bs about the new G4 chip from Motorola or something like that.

Then they posted that most of the stuff they claimed was made up, and that they would work hard to regain their readers trust. I think some people would keep going there, but I thought it was total joke to even believe that these sites would know anything at all. After all, which is more important - leak some info, or keep getting a paycheck from Apple?

Of course I'm sure we remember that lawsuit from Apple against one of the sites, to find out who one of the leakers were...

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: