123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

student in need of help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ncarter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: student in need of help Reply with quote

Hi this is my first post here been reading for a while. I have a mac mini and mac book pro but i need a more powerful desktop for graphic design. The obvious answer is a mac pro but geez they are expensive but i found on the refurb site of apple a dual dual core and a single quad core mac pro each are about 1000 cheaper than a dual quad core. My question is will these work just fine for me for a while or am i better off with a 8 core. Im using adobe cs4 design premium and whatever else i can get my hands on and learn. I will upgrade any of the macs i get with 16g and atleast 2 tb i just wasnt sure if there would be a big diffrence between 4 and 8 cores.

Thanks,
Nathan

PS: you can find me on yahoo trxus31@yahoo.com or messenger trxus31 if you want to talk to me that away.
bfuerst1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that is more than an overkill, my brothers 2.4 c2d imac with 4gb of ram and an ati 2400 gpu runs cs4 perfectly
apple bluetooth wireless mouse
apple aluminum keyboard
22 inch Samsung Display
Ncarter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok am i going to see a difference with two dual cores or one single quad core? I don't want to go the imac rout because i don't like the glossy screen and i already have two screens. Will the 4 core mac last me 4-5 years or even longer?

Thanks,
Nathan
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the MacBook Pro you have is not enough juice then get the dual-quad core. More and more apps will be written to optimize multi core processing. Not knowing what kind of design work you do it's hard to say what you'll need. My time is precious and I definitely wouldn't have time to render a 3D image or animation for days on end, due to an under powered machine. Even multilayer TIFF files in photoshop can easily reach into the GB's. I work in Photoshop and Lightroom at the same time and doing adjustments to 300+ photos can really strain my mini and my time.
The better you get with each program the more efficient you'll become and therefore use more and more resources of the machine. At least a MacPro will give you lots of room to grow before you max it's limitations. That's my 2 cents.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: student in need of help Reply with quote

Ncarter wrote:
Im using adobe cs4 design premium and whatever else i can get my hands on and learn.

Hi Nathan,
You don't say what MacMini you have and what exactly you are doing with CS4, and whether you have actually ascertained that the Mini is too slow.
I would wait for a while until your have objectively determined that any lack of speed is really costing you time or money. Unless you absolutely need more speed for professional reasons, (you said you are a student so this is probably not yet the case) your solution will be a compromise between your comfort and your credit card.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: