123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates White MacBook
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
With the independent video card and the FW400 port retained, this looks like good value.

It's an excellent value. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to see retailers like Amazon, MacMall and ClubMac discount it even further. They have been selling the previous model for around $940.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice little update, but I find it funny that Apple decided to skip over the Mac mini once again in favor of the MacBook. Everyone I know is waiting for a Mac mini update. What do we have to do Mr. Jobs? I mean, Mr. Cook? Smile
zen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxime wrote:
I'm thinking those will be the specs of the new Mini.

The current high end mini already has pretty much the same specs minus the new Nvidia graphics.

Actually.. the 2GHz mini is better than the new 2GHz macbooks (white and silver) because the mini used a cpu with 4MB L2 and the new mackbooks use one with only 3MB.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:

+ 4 on having a black model. In fact, I would take it over one of the new aluminum models. I just don't care for the super shiny glass screens or button-less trackpads. I don't really need a multitouch trackpad either.

I'm so glad I decided to get a refurb BlackBook last summer when I did. I so much rather have what I have than their current offering - and I paid a lot less for it also. Its interesting though that they're updating the MacBook AGAIN!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Its interesting though that they're updating the MacBook AGAIN!

I'm not totally surprised. If you look at their earnings report, the MacBook is where it's at for them. Desktop sales are way down. I think around 25% or so. That being said, it probably would help if they updated products like the Mac mini. The iMac and Mac Pro could probably use a little attention too. I'm also thinking they need to keep the white MacBook up-to-date and around for the education market. I can't see as many schools falling for the new model based on price and design.
iLife's a Bitch!
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent update, but I think Apple continues to be stingy with the hard drive. Most Windows laptops in the $600 to $1000 price range are coming with 320GB drives these days. Even the netbooks below $500 are coming with 160GB. It's not just with this model though. I think Apple is stingy across the product line when it comes to hard drives. Even the entry-level Mac mini should be coming with at least 250GB.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Desktop sales are way down. I think around 25% or so. That being said, it probably would help if they updated products like the Mac mini. The iMac and Mac Pro could probably use a little attention too.

I think it's quite logical that desktop sales are down if Apple continue to concentrate on what they perceive to be their best earners, and not listen to what the market wants.
The rest of the world still accounts for (very roughly) half of Apple's sales, but I still can't figure out why they only advertise in the US, and base all their sales on American feedback.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Updates White MacBook Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
dag777 wrote:
Darn it all, where the hell is the new Mac mini lost?

Just a hunch, but I have a feeling it will be coming with the iMac. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple have a desktop event like they did for the MacBooks in February.

Last time they updated the iMacs they did the Mac minis quietly.

Fox wrote:
With the independent video card and the FW400 port retained, this looks like good value. I agree with the others who have speculated that the new mini specs will be similar.

If they do those would be good specs.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Updates White MacBook Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Apple Updates White MacBook

Funny how it's not featured on any of the Apple main pages - only on the AppleStore.
This technique usually signals the phasing out of a product. Let's watch out for any 'quiet' upgrades to the MacMini...
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
zen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
With the independent video card and the FW400 port retained, this looks like good value. I agree with the others who have speculated that the new mini specs will be similar.

The Nvidia 9400M is integrated. Not independent..

It may be linked to the mobo in a different/faster way than the GMA 950 but it still uses system memory so that makes it integrated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: