123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New White Macbook with 9400M graphics setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gts116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: New White Macbook with 9400M graphics setup Reply with quote

As far as graphic work is concerned, do you think the new white macbook with the NVIDIA 9400M would work just as well as the unibody models? I'm not sure if the FSB is the same on the white unit as the aluminum ones. Parts of the website say its up to speed with the aluminum guys, but other parts of the site say its the same as it was before the graphics upgrade.

Edit:

Now all of the pages say it runs on the 1067 FSB. The only real difference it seems is the availability of FW400 and the slower DDR2 RAM.

I'll have to ponder this for a while.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how widespread this issue is, but I ran into a guy who has case damage on his white MacBook on the front right side where the lid closing slot is. Is this something from early generation MacBooks only, or are such problems still prevalent?
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I don't know how widespread this issue is, but I ran into a guy who has case damage on his white MacBook on the front right side where the lid closing slot is. Is this something from early generation MacBooks only, or are such problems still prevalent?

Still prevalent (happened to a friend's summer 2008 MacBook), but for my friends who have had it happen to them, it's been a covered repair, even for out of warranty machines.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

I've just had my daughters repaired last week for the same thing, the macbook isn't used daily and was only a year old. It seems to be caused by the magnetic catches weakening the plastic.

The repair was a freebie (applecare) and they did it really quickly. I did question if they had improved the design and if not what happens when my applecare runs out. It seems to be the same design but they did say they would repair it even if the applecare had run out.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 1st gen white macbook (1.83Ghz CD, combo drive) and never had an issue with cracking. However, I always use ShaggyMac keyboard/screen protector with my laptops...so that could very likely be the reason. (no issues with the blackbook I had for a while either).

Speaking of the new white MacBook...I saw some unboxing pics and it looked like the entire thing was actually white (instead of the light gray on the topcase/palmrest like the old ones). Were those bad pics or is this truly the case? (if so, bravo. The old white macbooks were ugly with that two-tone look)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: New White Macbook with 9400M graphics setup Reply with quote

gts116 wrote:
As far as graphic work is concerned, do you think the new white macbook with the NVIDIA 9400M would work just as well as the unibody models? ...

I don't believe that there are any speed comparisons of the two out yet, but the tests that have been run by MacWorld suggest that the new CPUs in the unibody MacBooks outperform the old ones even when the speed of the latter is higher. On the other hand, the addition of the Nvidia 9400M has got to make a big different over the previous on-board Intel GPU for any graphics work, and this is also shown in the MacWorld tests. Putting the two bits of information together, I would say that the updated white MacBook won't be as fast as the unibody for graphics work, but its performance should be considerably better than the old MacBook and close to the new one.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a unibody Macbook (2.0Ghz) and also just recently purchased a couple of new white Macbook's (for friends). I don't have any actual numbers, but I can tell you that World of Warcraft performance on the new white Macbook's is noticably better then on the previous gen white/black macbooks. (and appears identical to performance on my unibody macbook).

I think the current white Macbook is the best deal available for new Mac's right now. Plenty fast, firewire, great graphics, upgradable to 4GB ram. The only reason I see going for the unibody is the styling and need to drive external displays requiring dual-link DVI. (I suppose the "neat" glasspad and option for backlit keyboard are possible other drivers)

Definitely get a ShaggyMac keyboard/screen protector if you buy one. This will save you from ever having to deal with the cracking plastic issues.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gts116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Thanks for the update. I'm pretty much set on getting a white macbook, now I gotta save up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: