123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor: Mac mini to use NVIDIA's Ion Platform?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Rumor: Mac mini to use NVIDIA's Ion Platform? Reply with quote

Rumor: Mac mini to use NVIDIA's Ion Platform?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Posted by: Brian

Will the next-generation Mac minis be based on NVIDIA's new Ion platform? That's what the folks over at Tom's Hardware seem to be saying today. According to their sources, the new Mac minis will indeed be based on this platform. A platform that utilizes Intel's new dual-core Atom 330 processor and the same GeForce 9400M integrated graphics used in the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. It also features CUDA technology, which unlocks the processing power of the GPU to accelerate video transcoding. Tom's Hardware also thinks the new Mac minis will be smaller in size, remain at the same price points, and begin shipping in March.

Now, with that being said, we cannot confirm this with any of our sources. It's possible that Apple is looking to use NVIDIA's Ion platform, but with another product like the Apple TV. There was also that discovery of an extension file in the latest unibody MacBooks, which contains the string "CFG_MCP79" and the year 2008 for the Mac mini. That string seems to indicate the NVIDIA MCP79 chipset being used with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor in other Macs.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1118.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 am; edited 14 times in total
Fazzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO ATOM!!!! Sad
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't be happy with an Atom either for daily computing. I don't know how the new dual-core Atoms perform, but the single core in my Asus 1000H netbook isn't that great. It barely handles the basics. So in my eyes, this would be a major step back for the Mac mini. I really hope Apple stays with the C2D. I may want to buy another one of these things down the road.
iLife's a Bitch!
LaserCobra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be the low cost "netbook" everyone was hoping for?

I would hate to find out the AppleTV is getting a refresh that adds more graphics power weeks after I finally got mine. All I want is Netflix streaming... you know... for a time when there's some content of interest available. Rolling Eyes

Media: SG33G5B | C2D E7200 @ 3GHz | 2GB OCZ | 500GB Hitachi | 160GB WD

Mac mini: 1.6GHz Core Duo | 2GB Crucial | Toshiba 160GB 7200RPM
afromo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would test one at the Apple store, but I think they just lost me at Atom. I wouldn't be thrilled about paying $600-$800 dollars for one either. That's crazy expensive for an Atom-based system. You can pretty much buy two Acer, Asus, Dell, Lenovo or MSI netbooks with a screen for that kind money. What the heck is Apple thinking these days? Do they just want everyone to build or turn something into a Hackintosh, instead of buying something from them? Excuse me, but I don't get it. Can I please take over for Steve Jobs now? Idea
Zuma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor: Mac mini to use NVIDIA's Ion Platform? Reply with quote

I don't know, but I bet Apple would sell a ton of these for around $399 with the option to dual boot between Leopard and the Apple TV software. I would more than likely buy one.
jrt1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They current Mac minis aren't sounding that bad all of a sudden, are they now? Wink Laughing
Huff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Atom? If true, this is absolutely horrible (I mean horrible) news. I can't believe that Apple would be this stupid. Although, this is another way to stick it to people that want a headless Mac and make killer margins. The latter seems to be the main thrust for Apple these days.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any consolation, it is a dual core Atom. I really doubt they're going to put it in the mini though. The AppleTV, maybe. With that 9400M, it would make a pretty nice front-end with 1080p capabilities.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Darth Vader when it comes to using the Atom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Smile
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:
The AppleTV, maybe. With that 9400M, it would make a pretty nice front-end with 1080p capabilities.

It would be a nice upgrade for the Apple TV, but the original Tom's Hardware article goes on to say that systems using the Nvidia Ion Platform would start at roughly $400. That sort of eliminates the Apple TV based on its own selling price. And I can't imagine Apple raising the price of the Apple TV down the road. The Apple TV appears to be on life support at $200.
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrt1 wrote:
They current Mac minis aren't sounding that bad all of a sudden, are they now? Wink Laughing

If this is true, which I don't think it is, than the current mini looks great. Will have to be fast to get one on clearance Wink
warp9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, to put it crudely, the Mac Mini is about to have its 'nads clipped if the Atom rumor is true.

good gravy.

w9
fhall1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is true it'll soon be time to buy an Efix module and I'll build my own Mini using a SFF case and components
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like one step forward for the graphics and two steps back for the Atom and system bus speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: