123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxee Adds Support for ABC TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Boxee Adds Support for ABC TV Reply with quote

Boxee Adds Support for ABC TV
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Posted by: Brian

You Lost, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy fans out there should like this bit of news. Boxee has released a new version of their media center software for the Mac with support for ABC TV. According to the company, the addition of ABC TV to an already robust content platform including Hulu, Joost, CBS.com, and WB.com means that the large majority of broadcast television shows available online are now included in Boxee. They also announced that support for ABC would be coming to the Apple TV version of their software in a few days. Now, are these guys good or what?

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1122.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this application. I also read that Boxee may be coming out with a box like the Apple TV in the future. I think that would be super cool.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10148327-1.html
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I really like this application. I also read that Boxee may be coming out with a box like the Apple TV in the future. I think that would be super cool.

Boxee is an awesome and powerful app, but I hope they don't make another box. I would fear they would stop supporting the Mac and AppleTV to just focus on improving their box. Plus I don't want another unit under my tv.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else having trouble with it crashing after you start playing a show from ABC? It seems to make it through the limited commercial message, but then it crashes after an advertisement pops up. I haven't been able to watch a show yet.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
Boxee is an awesome and powerful app, but I hope they don't make another box. I would fear they would stop supporting the Mac and AppleTV to just focus on improving their box. Plus I don't want another unit under my tv.

I doubt they would just discontinue the application, but that's a good point.

How many boxes do you have? I've got a Mac mini, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3.

WheelSpinners wrote:
Anyone else having trouble with it crashing after you start playing a show from ABC? It seems to make it through the limited commercial message, but then it crashes after an advertisement pops up. I haven't been able to watch a show yet.

The video quality for ABC isn't the greatest, but it seems to be working fine. I know that Boxee hasn't crashed on me. I would try uninstalling Boxee with like AppCleaner (there may be some other files associated with Boxee) and then reinstalling it over again if you can't get it working.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't that crazy about Boxee at first, but it's growing on me. It's also nice having everything in one place. I think the UI is growing on me too. I really like how they have the ABC stuff laid out. I just wish the video quality was up there with the 480p stuff from Hulu.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
Weee wrote:

I don't need another box in my TV stand either, but boxee may need a product like this to survive. I don't even know how this company makes money anyways. Unless they're getting a cut of the commercials being shown, which doesn't appear to be the case. This would at least give them a way to license out their software and make some money.
usarcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I don't need another box in my TV stand either, but boxee may need a product like this to survive. I don't even know how this company makes money anyways. Unless they're getting a cut of the commercials being shown, which doesn't appear to be the case. This would at least give them a way to license out their software and make some money.

Good point. I know that they had won some prize worth $50k plus a booth at CES, so there is some income.

Weee wrote:
I doubt they would just discontinue the application, but that's a good point.

How many boxes do you have? I've got a Mac mini, Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3.
I guess I don't really fear them stopping support for the Apple base, but introducing features for their own device first and it taking longer to come over to the Mac/AppleTV, kind of like how it is now for the windows side of boxee Wink

Well I don't really have that many boxes under the TV. Blu-ray, AppleTV, receiver, fiber optics switch, and the center channel speaker. Hopefully a new mini but that's another thread I don't want to get into here Rolling Eyes I just like keeping things clean with less clutter. Need to update the receiver so I can run everything off of HDMI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: