123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacWorld '09 Registration Open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: MacWorld '09 Registration Open Reply with quote

Link

Use Priority Code DKV41883 for free Expo Hall pass before 9/26
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go there once. Sad
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I would love to go there once. Sad

Yea I kno, we had a similar convo last year. So come on out, you've got four months to make your plans to get out here.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to attend a Macworld SF. And I'd love to see an actual keynote. Have you ever been to a one CaliforniaMini? I mean to a keynote address.
iLife's a Bitch!
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I've always wanted to attend a Macworld SF. And I'd love to see an actual keynote. Have you ever been to a one CaliforniaMini? I mean to a keynote address.

Nope, went to MacWorld for the first time last year. It was always one of those things I wanted to do but just never did. Its funny, living in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley, we just take for granted where we are. Drive by Google and Apple and Yahoo and everything else everyday and think nothing of it. So going to MacWorld was kind of one of those things that I always put off doing. If I wanted to go, its just a short train ride up to SF. Now that I went to one, I'm hooked and don't plan to miss anymore as long as they're in this area. But I wouldn't travel too far to go. I wouldn't pay the high price to go to a keynote, its not worth that much to me (I'd rather spend that $$$ on Apple toys) and I don't know of anyone anymore who would be able to get me in. Just watching it on the screen is good enough for me.

For those of you saying you want to go, I say you should do it, at least once. Bring the family, make a vacation of it. Weather that time of year isn't bad (not that it ever really is around here). Could be anything from cool and rainy to sunny and mild. Or, if you want to go the other route, fly early one day, go to MacWorld, stay in a hotel for one night, go to MacWorld the second day and fly back that second night. Lifes too short to not do what you want to do!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
For those of you saying you want to go, I say you should do it, at least once. Bring the family, make a vacation of it. Weather that time of year isn't bad (not that it ever really is around here). Could be anything from cool and rainy to sunny and mild. Or, if you want to go the other route, fly early one day, go to MacWorld, stay in a hotel for one night, go to MacWorld the second day and fly back that second night. Lifes too short to not do what you want to do!

Carpe Mac-diem! Smile

That may a dream vacation for us geeks, but talking your wife into that one may be a challenge. The latter plan sounds ok though. I also wouldn't mind seeing those company campuses that you mentioned.
iLife's a Bitch!

Last edited by g5g5 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a few computer trade shows (PC based). They are fun, but I don't think I would pay a bunch of cash just to get myself to one. Mine were payed for by my employer (I sold computers 1995-2000). I would be willing to bet 90%+ of the people in attendance at these trade shows are there on business. Either someone else paid for them to attend, or it is a personal business expense. This is what these shows are all about $. As CalifoniaMini mentioned, I'd rather spend my $ on Apple toys.

Seeing Steve Jobs host a keynote would be great though. I never miss a download Smile
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I would be willing to bet 90%+ of the people in attendance at these trade shows are there on business. Either someone else paid for them to attend, or it is a personal business expense. This is what these shows are all about $.
Seeing Steve Jobs host a keynote would be great though. I never miss a download Smile

I have no facts to back this up, but I think the percentage there on business is less than 90% at MacWorld SF. Probably at WWDC and some other ones this holds true. There are a lot of people there with their families, a lot of college age people and a good number of people I talked to there last year who are not in the business but just huge Apple fans. Sure, I don't know whos actually paying to get people there, but this one seems more of a mixed crowd than just business people and geeks. Although most of the people I did talk to there last year were from the Bay Area and didn't have to spend much to get there. But that is my opinion after attending only once, so I dunno.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I would be willing to bet 90%+ of the people in attendance at these trade shows are there on business. Either someone else paid for them to attend, or it is a personal business expense. This is what these shows are all about $.

I have no facts to back this up, but I think the percentage there on business is less than 90% at MacWorld SF. Probably at WWDC and some other ones this holds true. There are a lot of people there with their families, a lot of college age people and a good number of people I talked to there last year who are not in the business but just huge Apple fans. Sure, I don't know whos actually paying to get people there, but this one seems more of a mixed crowd than just business people and geeks. Although most of the people I did talk to there last year were from the Bay Area and didn't have to spend much to get there. But that is my opinion after attending only once, so I dunno.

It doesn't surprise that a Mac trade-show would attract more general public.

With Platinum passes ($1695) being the only guarantee of seeing the Keynote and general conference pass holders (who were there at 5AM) (see comment near bottom of link) getting shuffled into an overflow room, it sounds like you have a slim chance of seeing the keynote.

http://www.macworld.com/article/135525/2008/09/keynoteseating.html

So all the power to you if you plan to attend Macworld. If you plan on flying across the country to see Steve Jobs, you may want to add $1695 to your budget or you will likely end up disappointed.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, who here is going to Apple's last MacWorld?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: