123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid Reply with quote

Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid
Monday, January 5, 2009
Posted by: Fran

Elgato today announced the release of their new EyeTV Hybrid USB stick tuner. The new tuner features an aluminum finish and comes with a state-of-the-art Xceive 5000 silicon tuner and next-generation demodulator technology for superior reception, including FM radio support. It also includes Macrovision's TV Guide EPG, Smart Series Guides and Parental Controls, which are new features in EyeTV 3.1. This is the first tuner to ship with the new software from Elgato. Current owners of EyeTV 3 will be able to download the update later this month. The new EyeTV Hybrid has a suggested retail price of $150.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1107.html
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy about EyeTV 3.1 coming out until I read about them dumping TitanTV out for the other guide and charging $20 dollars a year for the service after the first year. That's a real bummer.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These products interest me, but I have way too many questions about them to get one. There seem to be so many choices and no one simple answer. It seems that everybody's situation is unique and therefore suitable products vary.

Honestly I think I will stick with my cable providers HD PVR until I have a better understanding.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
These products interest me, but I have way too many questions about them to get one. There seem to be so many choices and no one simple answer. It seems that everybody's situation is unique and therefore suitable products vary.

Honestly I think I will stick with my cable providers HD PVR until I have a better understanding.

I never really got into either Bandit. I have a HR21 HD DVR through DirecTV, so that pretty much fills my needs. That being said, you really only have two choices in the US or Canada as far as tuners go from Elgato. That would be the Hybrid or 250 Plus. I mean, I don't think that I would want to stray away from Elgato. They are probably the best thing going on the Mac side of things. The other companies just seem to dabble in it or use Elgato's own software.
Stabstone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. I plug this thing into my Macbook Pro's usb port and hook up a cable wire and i can watch TV on my MBP? Also since it looks like an antenna port, could I hook up something like a Super Nintendo?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:
So let me get this straight. I plug this thing into my Macbook Pro's usb port and hook up a cable wire and i can watch TV on my MBP?

Yes, or you can use an antenna to get ATSC HD.

Stabstone wrote:
Also since it looks like an antenna port, could I hook up something like a Super Nintend?

Yes, but you would need to use the break-out cable that comes with the kit for composite or S-Video. You can't plug it in directly.
Stabstone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god! This is fantastic! Would this work well with the current Mac minis?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
shagberg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I was happy about EyeTV 3.1 coming out until I read about them dumping TitanTV out for the other guide and charging $20 dollars a year for the service after the first year. That's a real bummer.

Hey Curt - I was reading the Elgato EyeTV forums, and from what I can tell it looks like they are going to keep TitanTV available. From what I read http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3770 it looks like you can choose the new TV Guide service for $20 a year (you get the first year free); the primary benefits being 2 weeks of program schedules (rather than the one with TitanTV) and more data available about each program.

For me, its not worth it - I'll be sticking with TitanTV.

Scott
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the previous QAM hybrid. Never could get it to work glitchfree.
Lots of freezes and incomplete program guides. I stopped trying. I know a lot of people report trouble free use. I have a Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM.
zen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with the Hybrid is that it has no hardware encoding so it puts all the work on your CPU.

What I love about my EyeTV 250 is that it has hardware encoding and it never uses more than 5-10% of each core on my C2D mini. Thats with quality set to the highest and progressive scan de-interlacing on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: