123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don731

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
I think it's funny how most Apple TV owners want an optical drive for playing DVDs and USB expansion for more storage. Some Mac mini owners are willing to sacrifice the optical drive for a 3.5" drive or another 2.5" bay. Can't we find a middle ground here Apple? Maybe something like the Mac mini with two drive bays, an optical drive and include the Apple TV 2 software on it instead of Front Row so it can be used as a more complete media center. Just call it the "Mac" and slap an $800 price tag on the system. I'll be first in line buying one.

Bingo! That's exactly what I'm looking for in a new mini. We still play DVDs on the mini, and want to experience the Netflix streaming on a mini (current mini is an older PPC). We have a Roku box that will move to another room with the purchase of a new intel mini.

Don in Chicagoland
zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:
I still have my fingers crossed for Blu-ray. I know Steve thinks it's a bag of hurt, but I'm more than willing to take a beating. Razz

Blu-ray in a $600 computer?? I don't think so..
Fazzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Fazzy wrote:
I still have my fingers crossed for Blu-ray. I know Steve thinks it's a bag of hurt, but I'm more than willing to take a beating. Razz

Blu-ray in a $600 computer?? I don't think so..

I kindly disagree. You can configure a Dell Studio Hybrid with a Blu-ray drive for around the price of the top-of-the-line Mac mini. Why can't Apple do the same? Dell also offers 2GB of RAM and higher capacity hard drives in that price range.
NeveSSL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

edmetric wrote:
admin wrote:
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Posted by: Brian
How would you order your Mac mini, with an optical drive or two internal hard drives?

That depends on still having a firewire port.

+1

If they get rid of the Firewire port, I will be pissed and very disappointed in Apple... I'm wanting to give Macs a spin after being on PCs for the last 15 years, but I will NOT get one if they take the Firewire ports off of the mini. It will be useless to me and my needs.

I am, however, hopeful they may add an eSATA port, but I'm doubting it.

I need firewire... so don't take it away, Mr. Jobs! Evil or Very Mad

Brandon
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

admin wrote:

fascinating rumors about the next Mac mini (assuming it retains the name plate) is about Apple switching the optical drive connection from IDE to SATA. Not only would this increase the performance of the optical drive, it would allow you to swap out the optical drive itself for a second 2.5" SATA hard drive. Based on what's on the market today, this would bring up to 1TB of internal storage to the Mac mini. I

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1102.html

Brian,

Re : Two internal sata drives..

I can't see it fittng in with Apples' alleged marketing strategy.

500 GB HD is going to be more than enough internal storage for most users.

External drives are getting cheaper, so you'll be able to plug extra to your mini if you really need it...

No..from how I read the market, Apple is going to sell the Mini on two fronts.

1. Environmentallly good while saving your pocket.

Aka : the Mini being " Lean, Green, Enviromental & Economical "

2. Dump Vista.

The Mini is also going to be roundabout the intro point for getting disgruntled MSoft users (as well as just the plain curious) to dip their toes into a Mac universe.

So for them, a DVD drive is essential...

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
ADent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely like to see 3.5" drives in the next mini.

BTW you can hook up 3 drives to the current minis. The SATA hard drive, and two to the IDE port for the optical. Of course you need a couple of hard to find adapters to get from the JAE50 connector to full size IDE and these will not fit within the mini case.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It be nice if they offered SSD's and a Blu-ray drive on it ...that be declaring war on Sony and their Vaio's.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
It be nice if they offered SSD's and a Blu-ray drive on it ...that be declaring war on Sony and their Vaio's.

Not much chance of that war...ever happening...

Totally different markets and products..

But if your interested in that sort of thing... (Predator Vs Alien) then read this...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/48576-35-macbook-sony-viao

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazzy wrote:

There are pretty nice external BD-burners out there, especially the cream-of-the-crop: Plextor PX-B920 UF with FW and USB and for a price it doesn't make sense to buy a separate drive and casing (which latter needs to have SATA internal anyway). Moreover Toast Titanium 9.0 has a plug in available to make BD burning possible. The only thing is, you can't play it on a Mac yet, if I'm not mistaken. Jobs will miss the boat if he does not quickly gives orders to have BD playable in OS X soon! Shocked
grayskyz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac mini: How about some dual-drive action? Reply with quote

[quote="NeveSSL"][quote="edmetric"]
admin wrote:

That depends on still having a firewire port.

i find it hard to believe, as a "PC guy" (your words, not mine) you love and use and acquired so much firewire gear, that your unwilling to move to a mac if it doesn't have a firewire port. Since, you know, sooooo many PC's have them. Don't get me wrong, I don't think firewire should go away until there is a suitable replacement (USB 2.0 isn't) but, your that big into firewire?

As for 2 drives, yeah, all the way. I've already been thinking about removing my superdrive and and replacing it with a pata drive anyway. I did it in my MBP. Besides, I have a New Years Resolution entitled "No physical media in 2009." No blue ray, no dvds, no cds. (Books are allowed)

C.
.• MACBOOK PRO 2.33• AIRPORT EXTREME N STATION• MAC OCTO PRO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: