123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mail keeps quitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibamus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Mail keeps quitting Reply with quote

I have had a problem for the last few days where MAIL keeps quitting a few minutes after I open it, the message I get from the "report to Apple " box is

Date/Time: 2008-10-27 23:52:08.243 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000b01cafdc
Crashed Thread: 12
etc

I have tried to repair permissions but get one line that cannot be repaired, as follows

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this related, if so, how do i repair this file..

I have deleted any mail that came in about the time the crashes started to happen, the only software i have installed, just before Mail threw a wobbly was an update to limewire.
Any ideas?

Allan
bibamus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just found an article from Apple saying the disk permissions repair failure is nothing to worry about and can be ignored. Still getting Mail to crash though. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Allan
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a zombie thread, but you ddin't post back with what you didto remedy your problem.

Did you check this Mail article out? :
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2486

_____
What are MacMini users listening to now?

You can view two sorted lists of what we have been listening to:
MacMini favourites by song and member here
MacMini favourites by member and songs here
Enjoy. Last updated Sun 15 Feb 09.

Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
bibamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I didnt updat ethe thread because no one else had replied, I thought I was just talking to myself!
Anyway, i tried that link you posted but but still couldnt get Mail to work properley, in the end, I reinstalled OSX.
Whilst I was reinstalling, the internal dvd drive packed up and I had to reinstall again with an external drive.

Everything ( except the drive) then worked fine and I had no more problems with Mail.

After researching the cost of a replacement drive, I sold that Mac and bought a brand new iMac.

All in all, an expensive time! The new iMac is superb though.
Allan
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bibamus.
I was curious because I have had a host of problems since upgrading from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 and mail to 3.5

Cheers,

- J
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
bibamus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with mail as soon as I upgraded to 10.5.5. When I reinstalled OSX and upgraded then to 10.5.5, it all worked fine. My new iMac upgraded to 10.5.6 with no problems at all. Hope you get yours stable soon
Allan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: