123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Apple TV died

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: My Apple TV died Reply with quote

My out of warranty Apple TV has gone up and died on me. It's totally unresponsive and cool as a cucumber. It really has me thinking today about the extreme heat these things produce. I wonder if that contributed to its demise? Oh well, I'm heading off to the Apple store in Richmond to see what they say. I can't picture myself buying a replacement this close to Macworld, but I'd certainly like to have one. I've really been using it a lot lately. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Apple TV died Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I've really been using it a lot lately. Sad

Same here. Christmas movies nearly 24/7 !!!! LOL!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your AppleTV. I too have been getting a lot of use out of it with boxee, almost daily.

Is there not even a glimmer of life when being plugged in? No hard drive noise or anything?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Apple TV died Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

I would like to visit your house at Christmas time. Very Happy

usarcher wrote:
Is there not even a glimmer of life when being plugged in? No hard drive noise or anything?

No life at all. I'm heading down to the Apple store tomorrow.

I wonder what an out of warranty service repair would cost? It's probably expensive since everything is tied to the motherboard, including the power supply. Unless that can be replaced on its own. I'm praying it's something like the hard drive. I could do that on my own. I would need the image from somewhere though.

Hey, you're in the repair business Hackers. What do you think something like that would cost? Have you ever done an Apple TV?
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Apple TV died Reply with quote

If the LED up front doesn't light up than I would say its more than just the hard drive. Probably either a power supply issue or logic board, not sure if they are soldered together. If it does turn out to be just the hard drive, google for smallatv.rar Wink
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked out for the first time! I was able to get a replacement from Apple because my original unit was replaced while under warranty. There were some other issues, but I'd rather not go into it. It took some fighting though. I was able to pickup AppleCare for the replacement as well, but it only covers me for another year. So, I'm back in business for $50. Very Happy

Oh yeah... it was the internal power supply.
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are back up and running. They really need on on/off switch for the thing, that might help the power supply since the only way to power it of is to pull the plug Rolling Eyes
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Apple TV died Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

I would like to visit your house at Christmas time. Very Happy

Hey, you're in the repair business Hackers. What do you think something like that would cost? Have you ever done an Apple TV?

Of course I'm a day late and a dollar short but, I do repair ANY Apple products. Just an FYI.

...and any 123MM members are welcome in the "Griswold abode" anytime! Wink Laughing What can I say, I LOVE Christmas and I go all out every single year. The kids think I do it for them! Razz Razz Razz

SWEET! (Not my house but, I wish!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go g5g5! As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You had me going there for a second Hackers. I know you go all out for Chirstmas, but I was like that's two homes. He couldn't live next to someone just as crazy for Christmas. Wink
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that there is no snow on the ground.

If you want to see amazing Christmas displays, go to Florida. Smile

Only the real crazies spend that much time outdoors hanging lights in below-zero temperatures.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: