123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMacs and Mac minis to use NVIDIA chips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I can totally see Apple pulling a "no firewire" stunt on the new mini.

Doesn't the USB port on a Mac work better than a regular USB Port though? ....at least I've heard that on the new Mac's, their USB is close to Firewire 400 speeds. ...but than again, that's what someone at the Apple store told me.
BustaBoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
- MiniDisplay port with DVI adapter.

How about including a MiniDisplay port and a dedicated DVI port? I wouldn't mind having the ability to run dual displays. It also seems like they would have the room on the back panel if they dump firewire. Plus, like 90% of the people in the world have DVI displays.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:
I can totally see Apple pulling a "no firewire" stunt on the new mini.

Doesn't the USB port on a Mac work better than a regular USB Port though? ....at least I've heard that on the new Mac's, their USB is close to Firewire 400 speeds. ...but than again, that's what someone at the Apple store told me.

It shouldn't be any different that any other USB 2.0 port, on the MacBook Air they made it have 1.5A instead of 500mA though. if you are talking about USB 2.0 compared to USB 1.1 then it's faster. USB 2.0 is always slower than FW400 for most applications with very few exceptions.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BustaBoy wrote:
Rightondamark wrote:
- MiniDisplay port with DVI adapter.

How about including a MiniDisplay port and a dedicated DVI port? I wouldn't mind having the ability to run dual displays. It also seems like they would have the room on the back panel if they dump firewire. Plus, like 90% of the people in the world have DVI displays.

I would really doubt that 90% of people would, 90% of people who have bought a monitor in the past year or so maybe, but also the aim of the Mac mini is people with an old system from a few years ago so they will most likely have a VGA only monitor.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
BustaBoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I would really doubt that 90% of people would, 90% of people who have bought a monitor in the past year or so maybe, but also the aim of the Mac mini is people with an old system from a few years ago so they will most likely have a VGA only monitor.

VGA has been dead for a few years. It's time to move on. Wink

Honestly, I think one of the default connectors needs to be DVI without the need for an adapter. How displays out there use Apple's MiniDisplay port? Uno! More people have and LCD with DVI than anything else these days. A new Mac mini should also be about now. CRT displays with VGA are done. Plus, it would have the same DVI. Just use a DVI to VGA adapter like people are already doing. JMHO
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BustaBoy wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

VGA has been dead for a few years. It's time to move on. Wink

Honestly, I think one of the default connectors needs to be DVI without the need for an adapter. How displays out there use Apple's MiniDisplay port? Uno! More people have and LCD with DVI than anything else these days. A new Mac mini should also be about now. CRT displays with VGA are done. Plus, it would have the same DVI. Just use a DVI to VGA adapter like people are already doing. JMHO

Companies still make VGA only LCD's that cost just a little more than their DVI/VGA versions and systems still come with VGA only for monitors so while VGA is dead in the Mac world, it's still alive in the PC world.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
zen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BustaBoy wrote:

VGA has been dead for a few years. It's time to move on.

You're kidding right? Pretty much any lower end LCD right now is VGA only. More people use low end screens than high end. Most offices and consumers always go for the low end in the LCD market.

Also, any current HD LCDTV has VGA.

Saying VGA is dead is totally ridiculous!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. Long live the mini Smile

Re: firewire. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go. I personally prefer firewire and I would no longer be able to use my LaCie mini. All of my other devices are firewire/USB, so it's not a real deal breaker for me.
BustaBoy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
BustaBoy wrote:

VGA has been dead for a few years. It's time to move on.

You're kidding right? Pretty much any lower end LCD right now is VGA only. More people use low end screens than high end. Most offices and consumers always go for the low end in the LCD market.

Also, any current HD LCDTV has VGA.

Saying VGA is dead is totally ridiculous!

I'm not trying to pick a fight (this seems like a very friendly forum), but would either of you guys go out and buy a VGA-only display today? I might have been exaggerating when I said that VGA has been dead for a few years, but it's dead now. Even the super cheap LCDs out there on Newegg come with DVI. Plus, you can always use the same kind of adapter that ships with the Mac minis today. So, why make VGA of all things the priority? I don't think Mac mini is for switchers only anymore anyways. It's for people looking for a headless Mac, the ability to use a matte screen and to buy something from Apple that doesn't cost an arm and leg. Let's not dumb it down anymore! Lets go balls out! Can you tell that I want a new Mac mini in the worst way? Smile
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I think it will probably come with DisplayPort. Simply for the fact that Apple wants you to buy an AppleTV for your living room...

Huh Question What does a DisplayPort Connector have to do with an Apple TV in my living room?

Did you mean a Cinema Display?
What I meant.. is that Apple will purposely put a DisplayPort, so unless you rig it up with conversion cables/boxes, you will have to connect it to a monitor. Thereby, if you want an HDMI connection for your iTunes stuff, you will need an AppleTV.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:

Reviewers have said that Apple must have done something to the USB chipset in the latest MacBooks, because the transfer speeds that they've seen are far quicker than previous USB2-equipped Macs, and are nearly as quick as FW400.

This isn't the article that I originally read, but the first two visible headlines say the same thing... http://lowendmac.com/bookrev/08br/1107.html#23
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

Reviewers have said that Apple must have done something to the USB chipset in the latest MacBooks, because the transfer speeds that they've seen are far quicker than previous USB2-equipped Macs, and are nearly as quick as FW400.

This isn't the article that I originally read, but the first two visible headlines say the same thing... http://lowendmac.com/bookrev/08br/1107.html#23

That's interesting because from what I've read USB 2.0 has always been slower on the Mac than on PC, hence why Mac users prefer FW400/800.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

That's interesting because from what I've read USB 2.0 has always been slower on the Mac than on PC, hence why Mac users prefer FW400/800.

If that's true then it would make sense they would make it similar when they get rid of FW.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:

If that's true then it would make sense they would make it similar when they get rid of FW.

Quote:
The Windows PC implementation of USB 2.0 puts the Mac to shame. Today we tested the same USB 2.0 drive/enclosure on a Windows PC (3GHz Pentium 4) with built-in USB 2.0 on the motherboard, similar to Apple's approach.

Source Link
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
RMorris82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take just about take anything at this point. I can't stand the glassy displays on the iMac, MacBook or MacBook Pro. I just hope the new Mac mini includes 802.11n and upgraded video. Those are really the only must haves. Anything else would be a bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: