123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the fastest internal Hard drive i can get.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: what is the fastest internal Hard drive i can get. Reply with quote

Hello all, i am a born again mac user. I have been buying parts to upgrade my mini to get the most out of it. I have purchased the Pioneer DL 8x burner, 1 gig of Crucial ram, overclocked the video, and overclocked the CPU to 1.6. Now, the only thing left for me is to get a faster harddrive. I have seen 7200 RPM 2.5 in. drives. Does anyone recommend a certain model. I would like an 80 gig. if there is an internal drive that is faster than that, please let me know.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people are using the Hitachi/IBM Travelstar 7K60 because of its price, but it's only 60GB. Seagate and Hitachi make 100GB 2.5" 7200RPM drives, but they're pretty expensive. Seagate has the ST910021A, and Hitachi has the Travelstar 7K100.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitachi claims it's Travelstar 7K100 is the fastest of all. At $200 for an 80GB, it's certainly not cheap, especially considering you can get a bootable firewire external drive of equal performance and capacity for less than half that.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:
Hitachi claims it's Travelstar 7K100 is the fastest of all. At $200 for an 80GB, it's certainly not cheap, especially considering you can get a bootable firewire external drive of equal performance and capacity for less than half that.

I think Hitachi has increased the capacity of the 7K100 from 80GB to 100GB. The 80GB model has been discontinued. I could be wrong. Either way, you're right about them being pricey.
captainbower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: thanks guys Reply with quote

thanks guys, your helping this guy make a nice boost to his system. hooked my mini up to my 52in. HDTV from RCA. Loving the DVI to DVI connectivity.
jimig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@captainbower
you said that you over clocked the video how did you do that ive been looking for away and havent found one yet. how did you do it?
darthon123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Notebook HDD Reply with quote

Just as an aside... Looking at the two faster drives to upgrade the mini, these are meant for notebooks and therefore - as the site's state - have a high level of 'knock-a-bility' built into them. 250 and 300 Gs!

Seeing as I'm thinking of putting my mini into my London Taxi (which hardly has the smoothest suspension in the world), this can be only a good thing!! Very Happy Plus of course my mini will be much faster into the bargain.

darth
darthon123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Notebook HDD Reply with quote

Just as an aside... Looking at the two faster drives to upgrade the mini, these are meant for notebooks and therefore - as the site's state - have a high level of 'knock-a-bility' built into them. 250 and 300 Gs!

Seeing as I'm thinking of putting my mini into my London Taxi (which hardly has the smoothest suspension in the world), this can be only a good thing!! Very Happy Plus of course my mini will be much faster into the bargain.

darth
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimig wrote:
@captainbower
you said that you over clocked the video how did you do that ive been looking for away and havent found one yet. how did you do it?

ATIccelerator II link

^ Use at your own peril. (Don't complain if you blowd things up)
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
jimig wrote:
@captainbower

ATIccelerator II link

^ Use at your own peril. (Don't complain if you blowd things up)

Ouch.. That looks dangerous..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: