123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer Netbook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Acer Netbook Reply with quote

Radio Shack is selling a 8.9" Acer Netbook for $99.99 but you have to sign up for AT&T AirCard agreement rate plan. I knew it had to be a catch, daggit!

http://tinyurl.com/5hy22k
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. I've just been looking at an ad in my TV guide -- Vodafone will give you a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 if you sign up to their mobile broadband service for 24 months (@ £25/month... Shocked).
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada, you can get a 7" eepc for just signing up for a Royal Trust bank account. But then a Dell Inspiron mini is a much better netbook. I saw one of these at my local Linux group meeting last week. Nice looking, sharp display. And the wireless card ate the RealTek card I have for breakfast - much better range.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
But then a Dell Inspiron mini is a much better netbook. I saw one of these at my local Linux group meeting last week. Nice looking, sharp display. And the wireless card ate the RealTek card I have for breakfast - much better range.

I wonder if any cheeky rascal has managed to shoehorn OS X into one of those Mini 9s yet... Wink
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased an Acer Aspire-One for my wife. She decided that she rarely uses her 17" MacBook Pro since she does all of her work on the MacPro with the 30" monitor. She just needs something to surf the net and check email when she's out or traveling, not to do any work since she does graphic design and is use to the 30" CD. This model got good reviews, opted for the 120GB HD and the 6 cell battery. I will probably install Linux on it for her. Picked it up from Newegg for $379.99
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds, good Bobaloo. Some Linux distros to consider:
- Ubuntu with Netbook Remix
- Easy peasy (a community version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix)

I use the former on my netbook and have recently heard about the latter. UNR, with its special launcher and windowing system is really ideal for netbooks.

In the near future, Moblin may be the way to go. This is an open source Linux project being run by Intel to create a netbook Linux optimized for the Atom processor. There is an alpha available here, that needs work but has shown a lot of promise. Boot time from a usb stick is something like 25 seconds.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Sounds, good Bobaloo. Some Linux distros to consider:
- Ubuntu with Netbook Remix
- Easy peasy (a community version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix)

I use the former on my netbook and have recently heard about the latter. UNR, with its special launcher and windowing system is really ideal for netbooks.

In the near future, Moblin may be the way to go. This is an open source Linux project being run by Intel to create a netbook Linux optimized for the Atom processor. There is an alpha available here, that needs work but has shown a lot of promise. Boot time from a usb stick is something like 25 seconds.

If I may, you might want to check out eeebuntu as well. Great little Distro built on Ubuntu 8.10. I'm actually typing this on an Eee PC 701 SD running Eeebuntu. It's GREAT!!!

My 2 cents....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's happy with her Netbook, it does what she wants when she's out. We'll sell the MacBook Pro to her sister for my nephew. He will start college next year. Will probably download the netbook version of Ubuntu.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the new 10" Acer. In fact, I just saw some box opening pictures on Engadget.

http://www.netbooknews.de/1469/acer-aspire-one-d150-unboxing-fotoserie/

It's not all good though. I think it's going to sell for around $590 in the US.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with my birthday coming up this Friday, ms. ghostdawg bought me an AAO Laughing What can I say! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Its the Winxp version with 8.9" screen, 1gb ram & 160gb hd. I guess it has the 3cell battery, seems it get about 2.5 hrs of usage.

I'm looking at installing the http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne on it. I've had it for 3 days and enjoying it.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good birthday present, ghostdawg. If you get 2.5 hours of battery life on a 3 cell, consider yourself lucky. The MSI Wind barely gets 2 hr.

Happy birthday in advance! Smile
microfox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:

Its the Winxp version with 8.9" screen, 1gb ram & 160gb hd. I guess it has the 3cell battery, seems it get about 2.5 hrs of usage.

I got the exact same Acer last Friday and I also get 2.5 and even a bit more out of the three cells battery. It probably won't last for long as the guy who sold it to me mentioned the battery should last 12 to 18 months.

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Sounds like a good birthday present, ghostdawg. If you get 2.5 hours of battery life on a 3 cell, consider yourself lucky. The MSI Wind barely gets 2 hr.
Happy birthday in advance! Smile

Yes it is a good present. Very Happy But I did want a Wind myself, I hear it has one of the better keyboards of all netbooks.

mircofox, thnx for the info about the battery lasting around a year. I wasn't aware of it.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting off work Thursday morning, I fiddled around awhile and decided to use linux Gparted to split my netbook 160gb hard drive to install linux on it. Well, around 4pm cst, I went ahead and started the process. Everything was going great until I realized I didn't plug the power supply in, when I looked at it, it was shut off in the middle of the partition split.

So after turning the netbook on, Windows was no where to be found, all I saw was a checkered type screen. (dum dum dum dummm)

Luckily enough for me, it had a separate partition with the restore stuff in it. I was able to boot into the restore partition to do a restore of XP, and I'm assuming the orginal split of the partition is fine.

Today I'm going to start the Debian Linux install on the second partition. I'm well rested and should be good to go and to pay attention.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch; that hurts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: