123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac G3 Model APL M5521 with OS9
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: iMac G3 Model APL M5521 with OS9 Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm looking on CraigsList and find this old iMac G3 for $30. It works. 10GB HD, 192 MB of RAM. 400 Mghz Processor DVD Drive. Of course it has OX9.2 and the guy had no Disks. I want to wipe it. I know my Tiger & Leopard Disks from my Mac Mini won't work, so what should I do ? Can you still get a copy of OS9 ? I got it working but there is so much crap on it. I got it online with IE and Mail with Outlook Express. IE can't even view a You Tube Video. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of disks is going to be the sticking point. I have seen G3's with disks for as little as $25.00. I have a 350Mhz slot-loading, CD (read only), G3; that my sister bought right when they first came out. It is still fully functional but, has been "retired". If memory serves; Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, and Outlook Express came on the install disk which is version 9.0.0. Disk burning capability did not get included until 9.2.0 (unclear on exact version) with the final OS9 version ending at 9.2.2. If you wipe the drive, you really won't have any way to get them back as Microsoft hasn't supported IE and OE for quite some time. The OS did not come with iTunes. The version you would want there, is iTunes 2.0.4. It did come with QuickTime Player, but support for that version ended as well. Apple used to have a site where you could get some of their obsolete and discontinued software (updates as well) but, for the life of me, I can't find it. If nothing else, $30.00 is not a lot to waste on something you could experiment with. You could try Linux on it. Some of the members here are into that. But, nevertheless, lack of installation disks on any computer usually is problematic. Here is a little Apple support:
http://www.apple.com/support/macos9/
You should still find it interesting. OS9 is quite a bit different. Best of luck.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea it looks like your right on all counts. I was able to find updates on Apple to get it to version 9.0.4 but that did not seem to help anything. Can't download or install Adobe Flash & add ons. It's bare minimum. Linux is cool. Tried Sabayon a while back. Worked very nicely just from DVD. Downloaded browser called Cab thats suppose to work well with OS9. It doesn't. I'm having fun though playing around.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I found updates to upgrade all the way from 9.0 to 9.4 but I can't get it to update for the life of me. So I have what's known as Classic Version. So what is 9.4, Panther? I added more ram & it's a bit faster now. A big 384 MB of RAM. Smile I'm having fun playing with this but I would really like to see Tiger or at least Panther on this iMac G3.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Update on My Updates :-) Reply with quote

Ok I don't know what I did different but I downloaded the OS9.1 Update again & this time it loaded perfectly.

I was downloading updates on the Mini & then transferring them over since the Mini downloads 30X faster. But maybe you can't do it that way. Maybe you have to download from the same Mac your installing it on. Who knows but numerous hours later & I am finally able to update Classic OS9.

Do you think there is ANY chance of running Tiger on here? How much HD space & ram does Tiger need?

Could I then use my Tiger Disks from my Mini. I have a ton of questions !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think there is ANY chance of running Tiger on here?

Unlikely in your present configuration. Lack of memory and processor speed.

Quote:
...but I downloaded the OS9.1 Update...

I don't know if you are aware that in OS9 you have to manually "assign" (for lack of a better word), each program the amount of memory you want it to use (if other than default). I am doing this from what I can remember so, it may not be 100% accurate but will be close. Also, there is a thing called Virtual Memory; I think it is in one of the control panels. It works best configured as 1Mb above the actual memory that you have. I think you configure each application in the "Get Info" panel.

Quote:
Could I then use my Tiger Disks from my Mini.

No. That would also be a terms of use violation.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i was able to do the 9.1 update. Problem is, if I download the updates from Apple right to the iMac, they take a day to download. No exageation. I was thinking I could download them on the Mini and bring them over to Mac with a thumb drive. But THAT does not work. I guess the updates have to be downloaded from the same machine in order to work. Strange, but that is what is happening. So I'm up to OS9.1 & I was able to do the Firmware 4.1 Update as well. But like I said, downloading from Internet take forever & a day. The first 30 MB's take minutes, after 30. it slow to one MB per hour. Again the iMac is pretty fast for Internet. I upgraded ram to 384. As far as the ram setting for each program, No I haven't got a clue. Smile I looked in the ram & virtual Memory is set to 384. And the Virtual is set to 385. Is that right? Thanks for helping with all this. I appreciate it. If I could just update it completely, I think I would be satisfied. I know I can never watch YouTube video or any Flash as it is not supported. That's why I was wanting to put Tiger on it. But all in all especially since I updated firmware & updated to 9.1, this little baby flies. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger is absolutely an option.

Check this out: Xpost Facto. I've used this little gem several times. You have to follow the directions EXACTLY. Also, keep in mind the older Macs have an 8GB limit for the bootable partition on a drive, so, yes even your 10GB drive will need to be partitioned into 2 parts. It will work though, if you look through the Photo Gallery here on 123MM you'll find my G3 iMac running Tiger and quite well I might add.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Sounds like a plan. I'm downloading the files now. Is it not possible to use my Mac Mini Tiger discs that came wityh My Mac Mini ? I mean, I own them. They are mine. But ,Will it work? That is great news. I'll check out your iMac G3 when I get home. Can I PM you with Questions? Smile Thanks again.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I download Xpostfacto on my iMac g3 (400 Mghz.) and tried ti install Tiger using my Tiger Discs I got with my Mac Mini. I got a Kernal error, stating the software was not for this computer. There was a page of codes...It took me a while to get it back. But I finally got my OS9.2 back. BTW, did the firmare update, so that is not the problem. I just want to put any OS that will run Safari or a decent browser. I tried iCab. Don't Like. IE 5 just doesn't cut it. So the only way I can upgrade is to buy a brand new OS of my choice. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz i5 8 GB Ram 500 GB HD
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will magically read a DVD so that might be why it's not installing Tiger, since you said it was a CD only optical drive. It think that 10.3 was the last version to ship on CDs with a DVD as an 'order from Apple option'. I think you could get 10.4 on CDs but it was also a limited time option during the first few months.

If you don't like iCab or IE, then you really don't have much of a choice for browsers. You could maybe find a version of Netscape 4 that would work.

For mail, I think it's either Outlook, or Eudora.

For internet software you might want to check out http://www.macorchard.com/classic/

Also, with 9 I think that memory management was handled fully by the OS. You don't have to do anything with the memory settings for any program in any version of the Mac OS, unless you want to give it more memory.

It sounds like you are downloading the updates from the dialup modem and not the ethernet port, 'cuz I never had problems with broadband and my 7500/8500/B&W G3 systems.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" 10GB HD, 192 MB of RAM. 400 Mghz Processor DVD Drive"

Smithcraft,

I did say it had a DVD rom in my post. Also, I'm not plugged into the Dial Up Modem. I'm plugged ito the Ethernet port with a DSL Internet Connection and the only problem I'm having with Internet is downoading. I was able to do the updates on my PC and transfer them over. It worked. I am puzzled why it is taking so long to download when all my PC's & my Mac Mini download very fast. But I'm now running version OS9.2.2

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! I must of missed the DVD part. Sorry!

Well, I am totally puzzled, and the optical drive, and the dial up were the only things I could think of....

I haven't heard of any of these problems with other G3 iMacs.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem. Yea me neither. It seems odd. Anyway, my next experiment is to try using Target Firewire Disc Mode and running the Tiger DVD on my Mini and installing Tiger from the Mini's DVD Drive to the iMac G3 by way of a firewire cable. It's been done. I'm just a little leary because I don't want to by accident, refomat my Mac Mini Hard Drive. That's my only concern. But putting both Machines into Target Firewire Disc Mode, should not allow that to happen, I Think, Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to pm me, be forewarned though, I haven't been online much lately. Wink There is a very specific order in which you must follow in order to get OS 9.2.2, XpostFacto and Tiger all installed. Here's the cliff notes:

1. UPDATE FIRMWARE (You said you did, be sure it is the most current version)

2. Install OS 9.2.2 be sure you have all the updates available here as well. (BE SURE TO DO YOUR PARTITIONING WITH OS9! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT WITH PPC MACS, TIGER CAN FAIL INSTALLATION OR WILL NEVER BOOT IF PARTITIONED USING YOUR TIGER DISC) This is a common known issue. It never happened to me, then again, I never tried it. I like to learn from OTHERS mistakes! LOL!

3. Burn XpostFacto to a CD
4. Insert CD and copy the file to the OS9 desktop.
5. Run XpostFacto (From the desktop file)
6. Insert your Tiger disc
7. Select the Tiger disc in XpostFacto "to be installed"
8. Start XpostFacto
9. You will see a long window of white text LET IT RUN! IT TAKES A WHILE!
10. When it's finished you will have to restart you iMac (sometimes it won't do it automatically)
11. Install Tiger the normal way

NOTE: Each time you boot you will see the kernel load, this is normal, it will boot into Tiger immediately following the custom kernel boot loader

I hope this helps and you find something you missed. The directions on OWC's site are o.k. I found other directions elsewhere on the web that, combined with OWC's, made my installs go perfectly every time.

-Hackersmovie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: