123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Book for Switchers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: New Book for Switchers Reply with quote

New Book for Switchers
Tuesday September 27, 2005

O'Reilly has released "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition", a 520-page book by David Pogue and Adam Goldstein that promises to make the transition to the Mac for Windows users painless. The book is available for $24.95 US.

O'Reilly - "Tired of fighting spyware? Frustrated by the constant barrage of ever-more-persistant viruses? For these reasons and others, both neophytes and die-hard Windows PC users are turning to the Mac in increasing numbers. Some have security concerns, others are simply beguiled by the undeniable "cool" factor of a computer that operates, looks, and feels as slick as your iPod. And with the advent of the $500 Mac mini, price is no longer an obstacle for those considering making the switch to these elegantly designed, reliable, and user-friendly computers."

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition begins with a crash course in Mac essentials, including all the nifty features you see when you turn the machine on, and continues with sections on making the transition to the Mac as smooth as possible:

- Moving In: how to haul your software, settings, and even peripherals (like printers and monitors) across the chasm from the PC to the Mac. It covers the easy parts (copying over documents, pictures, and music files) and the harder ones (transferring email, address books, buddy lists, etc.).

- Making Connections: where to find your Internet settings on the old Windows machine and where to plug them in on the Macintosh. It demystifies Apple's Internet software suite--Mail, Address Book, Safari, and iChat.

- Putting Down Roots: how to become a Macintosh power user. You'll learn how to set up private accounts for people who share a Mac, navigate the System Preferences program, and operate the 50 free bonus programs that come with Mac OS .

- Two appendixes cover troubleshooting and installation and provide a "Where'd It Go?" dictionary of where to find familiar controls in the new Macintosh environment. A third appendix explains standard Mac keystrokes.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/364.html
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it this looks like The Missing Manual Mac OS X Tiger Edition repackage to appeal to the Windows Switcher!

Another resource is a DVD Video called, Mac OS X Training for Windows Users from http://terrywhite.tv/

Whether you're a long time Windows user or new to computers, this DVD video will show you what you need to know to be productive on the Mac almost immediately.

Terry White, who produced the DVD is a Detroit native, has been with Adobe Systems, Inc. for almost a decade, and has extensive knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite product line. In his current position as Technical Resources Manager for North America, he leads a team of applications engineers who focus on professional publishing, web authoring, and digital video. Terry has been active in the industry for almost 20 years, and he is the founder and president of MacGroup-Detroit, Michigan's largest Macintosh Users Group. He is also a columnist for Layers Magazine, and author of the InDesign Personal Seminar and the co-author, with Scott Kelby, of InDesign CS Killer Tips. Terry often speaks at such industry events as Macworld Expo, Mac Design Conference and Photoshop World.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not necessarily for the same audience I liked the ADC Bookshelf announcement. If you're interested in doing any development work this looks like a really useful resource.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
From the sounds of it this looks like The Missing Manual Mac OS X Tiger Edition repackage to appeal to the Windows Switcher!

I think new users would be better off with the Missing Manual Mac OS X Tiger Edition. This book might be too basic. Either way, I'm a big fan of David Pogue's books.
iLife's a Bitch!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I think new users would be better off with the Missing Manual Mac OS X Tiger Edition. This book might be too basic. Either way, I'm a big fan of David Pogue's books.

I'll second the vote for Missing Manual Mac OS X.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont want to this to come off as a "I agree" kinda post. But I have to say the missing manual is probably the best laid out reference book I have ever read. It had me up and running confidently with my mini in under 5 days, witch is bought the time it took for me to devour it from page to page. If there is still people on this board that havent read one of this man's books I highly suggest that you head on over to your local book shop and pick one up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: