123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC Expands miniStack and Mercury Elite-AL Pro to 1.5TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: OWC Expands miniStack and Mercury Elite-AL Pro to 1.5TB Reply with quote

OWC Expands miniStack and Mercury Elite-AL Pro to 1.5TB
Friday, November 14, 2008
Posted by: Fran

Other World Computing has expanded its lines of NewerTech miniStack and Mercury Elite-AL Pro external hard drives to include 1.5TB capacity options. The new 1.5TB models feature drives running at 7200PRM with 32MB cache, quiet acoustic levels, and the industry's "most reliable and proven" Perpendicular Magnetic Recording Technology. The new models are also eco-friendly, using only 8 watts of power at idle.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1077.html
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the 2.5 Ministack different from version 2.0? Anyway, I'll wait until USB 3.0 is available! Wink (And Apple starts supporting it...) Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
What's the 2.5 Ministack different from version 2.0? Anyway, I'll wait until USB 3.0 is available! Wink (And Apple starts supporting it...) Laughing

The 2.5 is SATA vs. IDE in the 2.0. I don't know of anything else.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

The 2.5 is SATA vs. IDE in the 2.0. I don't know of anything else.

Ah! That was it! SATA is getting more common than ATA these days, I'm waiting for the first 5.25" SATA casings with Firewire so one can put in one's own choise of Blu Ray burner! There are no ATA Blu Ray burners at all!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I'm waiting for the first 5.25" SATA casings with Firewire so one can put in one's own choise of Blu Ray burner! There are no ATA Blu Ray burners at all!

I think Addonics has one with a built-in SATA to IDE adapter/bridge. I'm not sure what it completely supports though.

http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/ae5idecsu2f.asp
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I think Addonics has one with a built-in SATA to IDE adapter/bridge. I'm not sure what it completely supports though.

http://www.addonics.com/products/enclosures/ae5idecsu2f.asp

They haven't listed any Blu Ray burner. maybe just wait, those boxes are pretty ugly anyway... Rolling Eyes
DavO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Hopefully v3 is better! Reply with quote

The problem with the miniStack is that it will break within 1 year. My first one caught on fire (!!!) internally in the first year. Not covered by warranty. My second one (v2) had a fan that died in its first year. Naturally, the company claims no responsibility, and I have had to replace at my own expense.

I wonder if anyone knows a similar product (albeit durable) with hard drive enclosure and usb/firewire hub?
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hopefully v3 is better! Reply with quote

DavO wrote:
The problem with the miniStack is that it will break within 1 year. My first one caught on fire (!!!) internally in the first year. Not covered by warranty. My second one (v2) had a fan that died in its first year. Naturally, the company claims no responsibility, and I have had to replace at my own expense.

I wonder if anyone knows a similar product (albeit durable) with hard drive enclosure and usb/firewire hub?

Mine had a broken Firewire interface within the first few month. I send it in from Europe as cheap shipping as possible, they repaired it and send it back as expensive as possible and charged my Creditcard for the expense. My MiniStack costed me about twice the normal price all in all. On top of that I was charged by the tax department which I had to fight as it had of course nothing to do with a new purchase from the USA. I'm happy to report though it happened all in 2007 and I exchanged the 250 Gb Samsung HD by a 500 Gb this year and everything works great. There is at least an inch room between the Mini and the NT MiniStack though using Cinnamon racks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: