123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxee with Hulu and CBS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Boxee with Hulu and CBS Reply with quote

Thanks to Brian I am now testing the new alpha of Boxee Cool

Considering what it does for the AppleTV it's great. CBS stream is pretty good with on a little shuttering, drops a frame every once in a while. Hulu on the other hand has a lot of shuttering going on. Not enough for me to stop watching though Wink

I am teaching a digital photography class that started Monday so I missed Chuck and Heroes. Instead of paying to watch them through iTunes I saw them for free with Boxee, plus no 5+ minute long commercials if I had been able to watch them live. Well worth the price of some shuttering.

Being alpha I am sure that things will only get better, hopefully they can get the gpu to take some of the burden from the cpu for playing Hulu. The install took like 2 minutes and that included making the patchstick on the USB drive.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not running it on the Apple TV, but the user interface looks really cool. It's also easy to navigate. The video quality of the internet stuff isn't the greatest. You can't beat the price of Hulu though. One the other hand, the CBS stuff is pretty weak. I'm not seeing many of the newer shows like Two and a Half Men or the Big Bang Theory.
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I'm not running it on the Apple TV, but the user interface looks really cool. It's also easy to navigate. The video quality of the internet stuff isn't the greatest. You can't beat the price of Hulu though. One the other hand, the CBS stuff is pretty weak. I'm not seeing many of the newer shows like Two and a Half Men or the Big Bang Theory.

I wish CBS would expand their online offerings. Hopefully Boxee will get the other broadcasters online content on there soon.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little Hulu HD wouldn't be bad either. More on the site or through Boxee.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Boxee with Hulu and CBS Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
The install took like 2 minutes and that included making the patchstick on the USB drive.

That's cool. Beyond the streaming, how's everything else working out? Did it find all of your other media? And what about the remote, is that working smoothly for you?
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Boxee with Hulu and CBS Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
usarcher wrote:
The install took like 2 minutes and that included making the patchstick on the USB drive.

That's cool. Beyond the streaming, how's everything else working out? Did it find all of your other media? And what about the remote, is that working smoothly for you?

I haven't tried having it access my other media yet. I really just wanted it for the online content.

It used to freeze on exiting but they had an update that fixed that. The remote works pretty smoothly, sometimes there can be a slight lag from time to time but nothing really slow.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Boxee with Hulu and CBS Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I haven't tried having it access my other media yet. I really just wanted it for the online content.

Yeah, that's what I would like to have it for. I think the regular Apple TV 2.x stuff works just fine for playback. I don't need a fancier interface to playback music. I was just curious if it worked well.
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: