123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me find an adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nepotism

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Help me find an adapter Reply with quote

Hello, I am trying to source a ribbon cable, or make one out of various adapters. Coming out of the motherboard, is a 50 pin make socket, using all 50 pins, with a single notch. A cable plugs into the 50 pin, about 8 inches down on the cable, is another 50 pin female connection, this plugs into a CD rom drive, and finally, 8 inches down more, there is a single female 40 pin drive connector.

So the motherboard supports two devices, in this case, they configured it with a drive, and a optical drive. I want to remove the optical, and use a second drive. However, all IDE drives are 40 pin.

I need a way to convert the 50 pin motherboard socket to a 40 pin cable, that has two connectors on it, one for each drive.

I can do it in the cable, or use an adapter, I do not care. I will need about 14 inches of length between each of the 40 pin connectors.

It will look like this

motherboard (50 Pin Male) -> Cable 50 Pin Female -> Cable 40 Pin Female -> Cable 40 Pin Female.

I am sure it can be made, but I do not have the tools. I plenty of 40 pin ribbon cables, so is there is a simple 50 pin to 40 pin adapter that can sit in the mother board, that would work.

More or less, it is this cable, but with one 50 pin, and 2 40 pins on it:
http://www.cable-house.com/images/cables/internal%20cables/scsi_50_pin_ribbon_cable.jpg

Here is the motherboard and you can see the 50 pin connector:
http://www.recycledgoods.com/images/s_p_22952_1.jpg
I simply need to get that to two normal PATA IDE drives.

--
Scott
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I assume this logic board is out of an iMac.

Second if you referring to the IDE connector below the RAM slots, that is a normal IDE connector. A 50 pin IDE cable will work on a HD as well. I know because I've flipped cables around before to make them work. You can find what you need at any PC supply store or even a Radio Shack.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nepotism

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

Second if you referring to the IDE connector below the RAM slots, that is a normal IDE connector. A 50 pin IDE cable will work on a HD as well. I know because I've flipped cables around before to make them work. You can find what you need at any PC supply store or even a Radio Shack.

Good Luck!

yes, it is an older iMac, uses the PC100 larger ram, not the smaller laptop kind, so it has a 50 pin connector on the board, that goes out to a cable to a 50 pin in the optical and then down to a 40 pin to the drive.

So, how in the heck are you getting a 50 pin female notched plastic end, into a 40 pin male drive, it is physically too wide, unless I am missing something here.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nepotism wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Good Luck!

yes, it is an older iMac, uses the PC100 larger ram, not the smaller laptop kind, so it has a 50 pin connector on the board, that goes out to a cable to a 50 pin in the optical and then down to a 40 pin to the drive.

So, how in the heck are you getting a 50 pin female notched plastic end, into a 40 pin male drive, it is physically too wide, unless I am missing something here.

Embarassed I misspoke there. I meant to say that a standard 40pin IDE cable should work. Are you certain that it is a 50 pin connector on the logic board? I know I read some where, long ago, of people simple pulling the optical drive and installing a second drive in the older iMacs... I just can't remember where...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: