123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khisayruou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing Reply with quote

I just upgraded to a 1TB NAS (Dlink DNS-323)...need some help getting it all running and wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

1. Automounting: Right now I dragged the drive as a login item, it works but every time I reboot a finder window pops up with the drive (the login item is checked to "hide"), its not a big deal but are there better ways to automount a nas?

2. I put all my music on the nas now, I have two macs with itunes that is directed to the nas. How do you keep the two itunes in sync without much work? The nas has a itunes sharing feature but every time I want to listen to my library I have to click on the share in itunes...its too much trouble.

Any insight would help, thanks in advance!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Automounting: Right now I dragged the drive as a login item, it works but every time I reboot a finder window pops up with the drive (the login item is checked to "hide"), its not a big deal but are there better ways to automount a nas?

Have you tried AutomountMaker? Check this out for more information. It's a nice little appication. I used it a little before setting up an AirDisk with my AEBS.

Quote:
2. I put all my music on the nas now, I have two macs with itunes that is directed to the nas. How do you keep the two itunes in sync without much work? The nas has a itunes sharing feature but every time I want to listen to my library I have to click on the share in itunes...its too much trouble.

I have read that Syncopation works well with a CMS or NAS. I have no first hand experience with the application though.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
The nas has a itunes sharing feature but every time I want to listen to my library I have to click on the share in itunes...its too much trouble.

That doesn't sound bad to me. Smile

Are you having trouble with the iTunes server updating or refreshing your media, or does it just take too long to update the library in iTunes?
khisayruou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing Reply with quote

Ben_Tex: I have no problems with the nas refreshing, its just there are a lot of negative things about using the library as a share...you don't get to see any album art, it doesn't automount, and it doesn't play nice with plex.

devo: Automaker was what I was looking for, I ended up making an automater app that does the same thing. Will give syncopation a shot once I find some time to mess with it.

EDIT: Just messed with syncopation, its exactly what I needed, now both libraries are sync'd and its super fast! Thanks devo!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with automounting NAS and itunes sharing Reply with quote

khisayruou wrote:
devo: Automaker was what I was looking for, I ended up making an automater app that does the same thing. Will give syncopation a shot once I find some time to mess with it.

EDIT: Just messed with syncopation, its exactly what I needed, now both libraries are sync'd and its super fast! Thanks devo!

Cool! I'm glad to hear that both of them worked out for you. I might take a look at Syncopation down the road myself, especially hearing that it works so fast.

I'm also with you on shared album art through iTunes and Front Row. Apple needs to enable that one of these days. It's silly not having it at this point. I also think that iTunes 8 needs some major performance adjustments, but I guess that's another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: