123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty of connecting to cable modem thru Ethernet hub?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'd want it Chauffeur driven for that Laughing

At least same day delivery Wink If your Royal Mail is anything like our USPS, overnight shipping really means over-week shipping Rolling Eyes
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what arrived at 1pm today?

So it looks like I've got some hardware tinkering to do later this evening... Twisted Evil

Part 'A': Successfully put the router between the cable modem and the Mini
Part 'B': Run a long ethernet cable from the router, through the wall (a co-ax socket is currently occupying each side of the wall where I want the network cable to pass through, but it's a small matter to change that Wink ) and to my laptop which generally lives in the lounge.
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love when new tech toys get delivered. It takes me back to being a kid on Christmas morning Very Happy I have a new hard drive that should be home when I get there for my old Ti Powerbook G4, and some ram for a friend.

Let us know how it goes.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher -- it worked on the first attempt!!! Shocked Very Happy

The text that you're reading now was sent through the Netgear router in the picture!

The gritty details:
  • I turned off my cable modem, unplugged its ethernet connection (to the Mini) and moved that plug to one of the LAN sockets on the router.
  • I then used Safari to access the configuration wizard webpage that's built in to the router, hardly changing any of the default options.
  • I used a short ethernet patch cable to connect the modem to the router, re-started the modem first, re-started the router (didn't bother to re-start the Mini coz I'm too impatient) and clicked on the 'Safari' icon.
  • Up popped the Yahoo! homepage. I was staggered!
Flushed with success, I'm tempted to try connecting the old MacBook...
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm just flabbergasted.

Without turning anything off-then-on, without laboriously typing in any IP addresses, without doing anything....

I plugged one end of an Ethernet cable into the router. I plugged the other end into the MacBook. I looked at the 'Network' section of system preferences (which I had already opened), the status indicator next to "Ethernet" went from red to yellow, all of the correct IP addresses and web settings appeared on the screen, the status indicator went from yellow to green, and that was it.

The whole process took a grand total of about 9 seconds. I started-up Safari and Apple's homepage appeared.

It just never happened like this with Windows! Cool
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Okay, now I'm just flabbergasted.

Networking on a Mac is great. I hate having to troubleshoot the Windows network issues at work Mad
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I seem to say that a lot since I bought a Mac Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 'Part B' of the plan is complete. Earlier today, I drove over to Lindy's head office and bought a 7.5 metre Cat 6 cable. There was a range of colours, so I chose bright yellow in the hope that it'll be more noticeable and hence reduce the chance of my tripping over it and breaking my neck.

(Excuse the crapiness of the photos, the light levels were really low when I took them)

I've threaded it around and behind the furniture, through a wall and at this moment, I'm typing this on the MacBook while sat on the sofa in the lounge. How decadent! Smile

Now I'm getting cocky! Wink I'm looking at ways to access HDD storage thru the network without having to leave the Mini on. I think that it would involve buying a NAS unit -- which would perhaps make my WD Passport drive redundant. Sad
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any old computers kicking around you could always build yourself a FreeNAS I have been looking at setting one up, but have a few other projects around the house to do first.

You are making me look bad at home Embarassed I have been dragging my feet on running ethernet from the computer room to my tv for connecting the AppleTV and future MacMini Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pretty neat adapter that allows you to connect a USB device to an Ethernet network -- but it's probably the same price as a NAS enclosure and only works with Windows... http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-2-over-ip-server/42890.html

usarcher, what's slowing you down on the home network front?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a couple of cables running through walls / ceilings that need tidying up. Thankfully the ones through the walls are in places which are hidden so not obvious unless you look for them. The only dodgy one is the cable to the upstairs portion of the network which runs straight up a wall and through a hole hidden by the alarm PIR, Embarassed thankfully its not in sight due to being on the blind side of a wall when looking from the Living Room. So I think my other half has forgotten about it.

On the cable through the wall issue, I did plan to fit network sockets over the holes, which tidies up the wall and stops the tripping over a cable problem. I just never got around to it once they were in and running.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I found a pretty neat adapter that allows you to connect a USB device to an Ethernet network -- but it's probably the same price as a NAS enclosure and only works with Windows... http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-2-over-ip-server/42890.html

usarcher, what's slowing you down on the home network front?

50% Lazy Very Happy
50% Waiting for approval from the boss Wink

I actually just moved the cable modem and wireless router to the computer room from downstairs along with drilling some holes. But now that I have a baby on the way the computer room is the prime candidate for the baby. So I am waiting to see what the other half wants. Plus I have been working on our downstairs, painting, flooring, etc...
Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this work and no wifi?
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge wrote:

There's truly nothing like a good wired connection.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
On the cable through the wall issue, I did plan to fit network sockets over the holes, which tidies up the wall and stops the tripping over a cable problem. I just never got around to it once they were in and running.

I thought about that too, but I've only got one place where a network cable runs through a wall, and I only have one cable that's long enough to reach it, so the flexibility that the RJ45 wall sockets would offer is overkill in my situation. Saves me more work as well... Wink

usarcher wrote:
But now that I have a baby on the way the computer room is the prime candidate for the baby.

Yes, the announcement of a little baby suddenly alters your priorities! Smile

Wedge wrote:

I know what you mean Wedge, but I only had to do the work once, the Macbook doesn't seem to move out of the lounge much (i.e. it's usually near the wired connection) and the whole exercise cost me a total of £20.70 (£15 for the router, £5.70 for the cable). So I know it's not wireless, but this set-up does suit my modest needs well. Very Happy

I spent more time looking at gizmos to connect USB devices to ethernet networks, and was led back to the Lindy website. This one is compatible with OS X: http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-over-ip-server/42929.html

I like it, but £90 is a bit steep... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: